Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I've got the same thing happening to a few SPS in my tank too. Bulbs are over a year old so I would have thought if it were the bulbs it would go the other way (browning out). I've been using the same 5gal pail of Kent carbon for at least a year though so I can't really say its the carbon attributing to it (unless I got overzealous and used too much). Odd that this is a coincidence though.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:32 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
I've got the same thing happening to a few SPS in my tank too. Bulbs are over a year old so I would have thought if it were the bulbs it would go the other way (browning out). I've been using the same 5gal pail of Kent carbon for at least a year though so I can't really say its the carbon attributing to it (unless I got overzealous and used too much). Odd that this is a coincidence though.
I always over use carbon. Always.

Maybe I have not had the same issues as I always use carbon and always have, so my water is always duper super clear.

I can see the increased clarity being a POSSIBLE culprit if you have never used carbon before.

But even when I switched to ROX, I never had a single issue. And ROX definitely made my water much, MUCH clearer than Kent ever did.

Before settling on carbon as the issue explore your heater/thermometer. Maybe that's an issue. Carbon is not the cause of bleaching in nature, so maybe try narrow down other factors.

As again, I highly doubt it's the carbon.

It's always easier to blame our equipment before ourselves.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:34 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

temperature? My temperature is stable day and night at 76.5 F.

The OP used this carbon for years without problem before this hapened. I have been using other brand of carbon without problem (seachem), in fact, I never had any problem with my corals or reef since the beginning 2 years ago.

Too much light? No I doubt it in my case since it hapened during the night and there was no change of ligth previously either. My 250 watt Phoenix 14 has been there for 4 months and corals were thriving, acropora growing 1" per month previous to the addition of carbon.

it's definitly something else.

Dead toll: xenia all gone, bleue haliclona sponges all gone, pink digitata nearly all gone. Orange and purple digitata just fine, birdnest never affected and SPS coming back with great polyp extension but still pale and have lost color. LPS and zoanthids doing great now.

This hapened about 5 days ago and I did 30% water change monday, and 30% water change tuesday...Now corals are coming back. Such drastic water change and the corals are feeling better?? now what nasty stuff was in my tank that could have caused this? Only thing I could do is to have this carbon analyzed. Or do another test in another tank with corals I don't really care for.

Previous to the addition of the carbon, the evening I replaced the Seachem carbon by the Kent, all my corals were doing fantastic. Xenia were pumping, I had awesome polyps extention as usual. The only thing that hapened is the kent carbon, no change in temperature, PH, etc...no change in the dosing. I tested for salinity, alkalinity and mag and all were as they are usually. Maybe a bad batch of carbon? If it is a coincidence, then it is a very strange one...if it is a coincidence then what could have caused this? No other factors were present. This hapened overnight, no light involved in the event. No PH or temperature swing either.

I have been using Seachem carbon for 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
I used Kent for years and years. Mo bleaching. Ever.

Temperature and too much light are usual suspects.

Highly doubt it's the carbon.

Bleaching is usually human error in tanks.

Last edited by daniella3d; 02-17-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I always over use carbon. Always.

Maybe I have not had the same issues as I always use carbon and always have, so my water is always duper super clear.

I can see the increased clarity being a POSSIBLE culprit if you have never used carbon before.

But even when I switched to ROX, I never had a single issue. And ROX definitely made my water much, MUCH clearer than Kent ever did.

Before settling on carbon as the issue explore your heater/thermometer. Maybe that's an issue. Carbon is not the cause of bleaching in nature, so maybe try narrow down other factors.

As again, I highly doubt it's the carbon.

It's always easier to blame our equipment before ourselves.
Oh I totally agree. However like I said, I'm well into that 5gal bucket of Kent (and I've used Kent for about 7ish years now) and its not like I hit a "bad spot" or something to be just causing problems now. There are always a myriad of weird things going on with my tank and problems never get nailed down to any single thing. I'm not even sure why I posted to fuel the fire. Bored I guess.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
temperature? My temperature is stable day and night at 76.5 F.

The OP used this carbon for years without problem before this hapened. I have been using other brand of carbon without problem (seachem), in fact, I never had any problem with my corals or reef since the beginning 2 years ago.

Too much light? No I doubt it in my case since it hapened during the night and there was no change of ligth previously either. My 250 watt Phoenix 14 has been there for 4 months and corals were thriving, acropora growing 1" per month previous to the addition of carbon.

it's definitly something else.

I agree. But I just don't see carbon being the issue.

During the night... Maybe corals fighting. Killing parts off. Dead corals lose color too.

Also, too much light is a suggestion. I would still lean to heat spikes.

I had to remove an unfaithful finnex.

Has anyone done extensive research on natures bleaching? Perhaps there are some similar factors we duplicate in tanks. Like pollution.

Can anyone educate us better?

I'm no expert on this issue, just trying to help.

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
There are always a myriad of weird things going on with my tank and problems never get nailed down to any single thing
isn't this the nature of the hobby in general? Detritus happens.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM

But assuming you are right about coral war...there was a lot of fresh carbon in there so it would have absorbed what ever chimical from a coral war.

For exemple, my shaggy acropora had a deep dark blue/green base color, now it is all washed out, no more trace of blue in the flesh and the purple tips are bearely visible. That coral is going to have to regain its color back for sure. Now the base color is sort of a grayish flesh but the polyps are still green.

It's not like parts of the corals died either. It's an overall loss of color but the coral is still alive and now making a come back.

I had a multicolor acropora millepora that was striking in colors. It has flashy pink, purple, blue and green hue...now it's livid light green with livid light brown on top. It's like all the nice colors have vanished.

In the morning, most of my SPS has their polyps in and filaments out. I could see something was very wrong.

And what can make xenia melt like that?? It shriveled and died in one night. this is highly unusualy for me as my xenia were growing like weeks and my bleues sponges been thriving for 2 years. What can kill a blue sponge?? I even used a few time Chemiclean in that tank to clear up cyano and that did not affect the sponges. I had an episode of dino and raised the PH a lot to kill that and it did not affect my sponges, nor my xenias.

Now what?

And it's definitly not the temperature, because especially at night my temperature is stable and not affected by the MH light. But even in summer my temperautre is very stable at no more than 77F.

Quote:
I agree. But I just don't see carbon being the issue.

During the night... Maybe corals fighting. Killing parts off. Dead corals lose color too.

Also, too much light is a suggestion. I would still lean to heat spikes.

I had to remove an unfaithful finnex.

Has anyone done extensive research on natures bleaching? Perhaps there are some similar factors we duplicate in tanks. Like pollution.

Can anyone educate us better?

I'm no expert on this issue, just trying to help.

Last edited by daniella3d; 02-17-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 PM

Default 10,000$ loss in coral due to kent carbon??

guys...read this:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2134021

seems we are not alone and I am really angry at this company. I lost all my beautiful blue sponges, lost my 3 rare pink digitata...can't replace them!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 PM

Its like being a reef hemophilliac... someone suggests an issue and suddenly a chunk of people all have it.

Just be careful you are not spreading false accusations.

I never had a single issue, and I am sure more people have had positive results than negative.

If you have a concern, why not contact them and see if this is factual. Or contact the store you bought it at.

If there is a serious issue.... there would be a recall.

If there is no recall then 1000's upon 1000's of people who use a popular and easily available product would also have the same issue. Not just a handful of people.

Before being angry at Kent, maybe make sure you have proof or fact that it was your CARBON.

I recently switched from kent, as I mentioned, and it was a good product.

It does seem like very few people on here had the same issue. Even ten or fifty individuals with similar issues are nothing compared to the multitudes of people with zero problems with the product, such as myself.

Anyhow... removing myself from the carbon bag.

Good luck with your issues. Hope its not the carbon!

My 70 Gallon build:

My Mandarin Paradise:

Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 PM

you never had issue but obviously a lot of people do, even those have have been using this carbon for 7 years like that store owner.

I did contact them today and waiting for their response.

In any case, this is super easy to prove...the proof is in the pudding. I do have the carbon with me. The store owner has sent some of the carbon to kent marine for analyse and we should soon find out what is causing havock with this carbon.

Kent Marine is aware of the situation and they will surely ..well hopefully do something about it. I will post their reply here once and if they do reply.

So far I have about 2000$ loss in coral

Probably not all of Kent carbon is bad, but probably some batches are contaminated with something. Since people from NY are experiencing the same thing, I am guessing it is far more spread than you want to say. I live in Canada, not in the USA so some bad batch could be in the USA and in Canada and possibly elswhere.

Even if this was a false alert and everybody having issue are just dreaming a bad nightmare, it is better to be safe than sorry and not use this carbon for now.

Quote:
Its like being a reef hemophilliac... someone suggests an issue and suddenly a chunk of people all have it.

Just be careful you are not spreading false accusations.

I never had a single issue, and I am sure more people have had positive results than negative.

If you have a concern, why not contact them and see if this is factual. Or contact the store you bought it at.

If there is a serious issue.... there would be a recall.

If there is no recall then 1000's upon 1000's of people who use a popular and easily available product would also have the same issue. Not just a handful of people.

Before being angry at Kent, maybe make sure you have proof or fact that it was your CARBON.

I recently switched from kent, as I mentioned, and it was a good product.

It does seem like very few people on here had the same issue. Even ten or fifty individuals with similar issues are nothing compared to the multitudes of people with zero problems with the product, such as myself.

Anyhow... removing myself from the carbon bag.

Good luck with your issues. Hope its not the carbon!

Last edited by daniella3d; 02-18-2012 at 09:58 PM.