Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road
Default Adding Clean Up Crew...

With CUC, I find that I always need less than the 'recommended' amount.

For example:

J&L suggest this package for 180-240 gallon reefs.

150 - Blue Legged Hermits
30 - Red Scarlet Hermit
50 - Astrea Snails
50 - Margarita Snails
50 - Cerith Snails

I'd maybe add 1/2 or 2/3 that amount at first. In that way, if there's not enough detritus/algae etc. to sustain 300+ newly added inverts, you wont starve anyone.

You can always add more later if you find you need them.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Rene

Will they breed in the tank? can I just bring up the population that way?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 PM

To be honest, even in my old 15g nano tank, I never saw half my CUC once I'd put them in.

I don't know if they multiplied or not in there, well some snails did, but I don't think the ever hermits did.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 PM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road

margarita snails are pretty decent at scavenging, beware the price of turbo snails, they're good at cleaning but they're clumsy as heck, i'd still end up going for lots of blue leg hermits, they're pretty efficient imo.

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

I have had better luck with margarita snails then turbos. they are not as big do a fine job and do not knock any corals around. I have 12 margarita snails and 6 Turbos.(as of today i added 3 mexican)

Down side to margaritas is that my hermits despite how many shells i give them like to kill them for their shells.

As far as breeding in the tank iam not too sure only if they find a good enough hiding spot for the eggs. my sally lightfoot always gets my eggs even the ones i dont see. he will just come out from behind the rock with a sac. not sure but i asume hermits would eat eggs if they come accross them.

I would also put some scarlett hermits in just fora change of color.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 AM

+1 on avoiding Turbos...

I find Trochus, Nassarius & Ceriths do a pretty good job.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Guess i shouldmetion i also have some pyramids and dovetails.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:21 AM

Rippin is on a distinguished road

Yes, I've found that the recommended number of CUC critters from sources to be too high.

In a newly established system there may be not enough food for all of those snails, crabs and especially shrimp (unless you feed them).

Eventually your CUC system will balance itself out and will only support the amount your tank can provide, in terms of food.

In a new tank, sand-dwelling critters (nassarius, conches) will be of little or no use, and would most probably die off.

If you're cooking rock, there may not be enough left on the rock to support a large CUC immediately. Wait until the algae blooms (which undoubtedly you'll have) settles down, then add your CUC.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Adding that many of anything to your tank will cause an amonia spike, which may kill the vast majority of your cleaners. I would wait until your live rock in is place before adding any livestock. That way you will have a buffer to counteract an amonia spike. After all, LR does most of your filtrating.

Sounds like it will be a nice system, with the solaris light and all.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041