Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Yup, it's medex, the whole enclosure is made out of it. It's a more water resistant, less toxic kind of mdf. Then all interior surfaces were coated with a super thick resin sealant, the brand name of which I never managed to track down (the painters and I were never there at the same time again). The exterior was just painted with the same paint as the walls
Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 PM

justincgdick is on a distinguished road

Oh, okay. I see. Smart move making it match the walls. Thanks for the info, I didn't know such a product existed.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 PM

I couldn't wait any longer! It took the entire freaking weekend, and most of today, but...

Voila!

If it didn't take 2 days, a seriously bruised palm, frayed fingers dealing with all that awful aircraft cable, and nearly falling off a ladder and in to my aquarium about 7 dozen times, I would be more ashamed of my awful, awful DIY hanging job. The only saving grace was that it had no requirement to be pretty, just functional. I struggled with how to support all 8 lights, and was going to make a frame out of PVC, when my uber handy friend suggested using wire shelving cut to length that I would hang the lights off of with a caribeaner (sp?)

I had two sections made, each to hold 4 lights. They're suspended with the wires that came with the premium hanging kit, and eventually I will add a pulley system so that I can raise and lower each panel of lights independently. But for now I'm thoroughly over working in there.

One major issue is that these lights trip the GFCI circuit on the outlets under my cabinet really easily. If a light is unplugged, then plugged back in, it shuts the whole thing down. I'm trouble shooting with the electricians on a work-around, but so long as I don't have to cut power to any of the units I'm good. Unfortunately, to program the lights you do need to unplug one, so long term there needs to be a better solution, but I've spent about an hour and a half playing with the programming and I think I've got it close to what I want for the next little but once corals are in we'll see what happens. I've got it at 100% power for 6 hours every day, which will probably be too much at first for most corals.

My ammonia readings come back undetectable now, but nitrite is still off the freaking chart. The colour hasn't lightened even a bit in days, so I don't know how much longer I'll need to wait to put something in this tank.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

my eyes!!!!....holy crap that is bright with eight of them things over it!
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
my eyes!!!!....holy crap that is bright with eight of them things over it!
I want people to be able to see my house from space
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
mission accomplished!
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 AM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mind as well have the home builders remove all the lights in the house now...I cant think of a reason for you to need them.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986 View Post
Mind as well have the home builders remove all the lights in the house now...I cant think of a reason for you to need them.
Hah! We've stopped turning the lights on in the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Sadly, though Deltec is an excellent product, the Canadian Distributor could not be more painful to deal with. Best of luck for you to get an answer back anytime in the near future.
I know Deltec got a bit of a bad rap in North America due to problems with customer service, and I followed the Deltec sponsor forum pretty closely on Reef Central until they shut it down and moved the forum to the D-D website. From what I understood, they were taking steps to address the customer service side of the business here in North America, and maybe it's that I'm in Canada, but I have to say I'm more than impressed with the service I've received so far. I've had near instant responses from both Deltec Spare Parts USA, and the Canadian distributor, and I'm happy to say that the replacement piece was delivered to me via FedEx today. So while I'm only one person, they've got a huge thumbs up from me at the moment, and I'm feeling pretty confident in my choice to go with this brand.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hah! We've stopped turning the lights on in the office.

I know Deltec got a bit of a bad rap in North America due to problems with customer service, and I followed the Deltec sponsor forum pretty closely on Reef Central until they shut it down and moved the forum to the D-D website. From what I understood, they were taking steps to address the customer service side of the business here in North America, and maybe it's that I'm in Canada, but I have to say I'm more than impressed with the service I've received so far. I've had near instant responses from both Deltec Spare Parts USA, and the Canadian distributor, and I'm happy to say that the replacement piece was delivered to me via FedEx today. So while I'm only one person, they've got a huge thumbs up from me at the moment, and I'm feeling pretty confident in my choice to go with this brand.
That's excellent news since that distributor is the same one that handles Tunze in Canada...so maybe that service will also improve.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:27 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Jeez, sure some nice lighting going on there. Your in-wall is going to look awesome stocked. Nice job