Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 PM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

90 gallon
Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Sorry it was $40 not $50. I found my old receipt which says $169.95, currently on their website they are $129.95. They are Lumenmax 3s that I bought at J&L.

Everyone in the developed world is using LEDs now. They're in consumer goods, homes, office buildings and industrial plants. They're also in PCs and cars.
Where is this developed world?? I've never seen an office building or industrial plant that uses LEDs for lighting and I'm a contractor that works in different offices and manufacturing plants all the time. Also I just got a new house, no LEDs anywhere and there really wasn't much available for fixtures with the exception of a few over priced dim bulbs and under cabinet lighting. Even new street lights still use HPS even though new LED streetlights exist cities are just not buying into them.

LED technology is great but it's still developing and has a long way to go before it's as popular as you seem to think it is. Will LED prices go down, yes but not in the way you think off. New LEDs with higher efficiency are released every damn day, the LEDs I purchased a few months back are now cheaper and obs. They've been replaced with a new model which is better but also more expensive... Quite simply prices will remain the same for the latest and greatest but cheaper options will always exist but nobody wants those

In this LED game plan on spending a decent amount with no chance of being able to recover your costs in resale as your fixture will be obs in as little as a few months. Plan to keep it long enough to cover your costs in efficiency savings alone or better yet buy it for other reasons all together.

Also keep in mind your halides don't become obs, they have been consistently the latest and greatest MHs for years and many years to come. Oh and you over paid for your reflectors, I purchased my luminarc 3 several years ago for $130. Hence the price drop really has nothing to do the technology fading.

Last edited by sphelps; 09-08-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Sorta like buying a computer and all the chip upgrades. I never buy the very highest end model and you save a lot and get very close to the same performance. Sure your LEDs are obs now but another person I guess can come alone and buy a bunch of them for much less and still have a great light (like you will) when all's said and done.

It's due to things changing so fast that you can to some degree see savings by going a step down. I may be wrong but I don't think with previous lighting options we saw that same opportunity to save?

I suppose a major part of all this is the need to purchase many LEDs vs buying a lamp or two or a reflector or two so buying a slightly older LED x many saves you a lot.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Where is this developed world?? I've never seen an office building or industrial plant that uses LEDs for lighting and I'm a contractor that works in different offices and manufacturing plants all the time.
I sold a few of these 2 years ago to an industrial plant

http://www1.crouse-hinds.com/crouseh...on=view&id=308

But I do agree with you that there is lots of product out there in the LED world but very little is "main stream" as of right now. There was LED A19's and MR16's several years ago for the resi market, but I have yet to sell them on any sort of regulaur basis if at all.

On topic....

MOAR PICS PLZ
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM

This was my LED fluval edge

Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Sorta like buying a computer and all the chip upgrades. I never buy the very highest end model and you save a lot and get very close to the same performance. Sure your LEDs are obs now but another person I guess can come alone and buy a bunch of them for much less and still have a great light (like you will) when all's said and done.

It's due to things changing so fast that you can to some degree see savings by going a step down. I may be wrong but I don't think with previous lighting options we saw that same opportunity to save?

I suppose a major part of all this is the need to purchase many LEDs vs buying a lamp or two or a reflector or two so buying a slightly older LED x many saves you a lot.
Yes potential for savings in the DIY area but not so much in the fixture area, well at least not anymore compared to other lighting fixtures. Also when buying OBS LED components you'll have to be good with timing as sales are really only significant once inventory stops being replenished.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Where is this developed world?? I've never seen an office building or industrial plant that uses LEDs for lighting and I'm a contractor that works in different offices and manufacturing plants all the time. Also I just got a new house, no LEDs anywhere and there really wasn't much available for fixtures with the exception of a few over priced dim bulbs and under cabinet lighting. Even new street lights still use HPS even though new LED streetlights exist cities are just not buying into them.

LED technology is great but it's still developing and has a long way to go before it's as popular as you seem to think it is. Will LED prices go down, yes but not in the way you think off. New LEDs with higher efficiency are released every damn day, the LEDs I purchased a few months back are now cheaper and obs. They've been replaced with a new model which is better but also more expensive... Quite simply prices will remain the same for the latest and greatest but cheaper options will always exist but nobody wants those
I don't really agree Vancouver is replacing alot of lamps for led lions gate bridge for example is all LED, u carry LEDs in ur pocket everyday cells, iPods, tablets, gaming systems, computers, even tvs are LED nowadays. I was helping to install LED fixtures in houses in west van expensive or not they do exist IMHO we use LEDs in more applications then u make it sound like
Old 09-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Aquaria is on a distinguished road

Oh and I almost forgot neon signs are a thing o the past there all LED signs now most malls u go into that have an electric sign board are LED don't forget flashlights and the new LED bulbs that u can use in any old fixture
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post
I don't really agree Vancouver is replacing alot of lamps for led lions gate bridge for example is all LED, u carry LEDs in ur pocket everyday cells, iPods, tablets, gaming systems, computers, even tvs are LED nowadays. I was helping to install LED fixtures in houses in west van expensive or not they do exist IMHO we use LEDs in more applications then u make it sound like
While most of those applications aren't really the same LED technology (lighting applications), essentially all that is related to the computer industry where LED technology has almost always been, it's improving but so is everything in the electronic industry but the point is LEDs are not new in those applications nor are they used for lighting purposes. Now the one good example is the LED retrofit on the lions gate bridge where someone is replacing so called old technology with new. However how many other bridges in the world are following the same path? How many houses are now using LEDs instead of other technology? How many plants, factories, office buildings are using LEDs for lighting purposes? What percentage would you guess? Realistically we have a long way to go before claiming LEDs are now in everything. This was my point not that you can find LEDs in your cell phone or TV.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

Sphelps that fluval edge you had is nothing short of out of this world.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank