Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I've been sick for the past few days but the plan today is to do a water change and clean my skimmer. I also go the 3 way splitter and dimmer for the extra strip of lights I want to add, now I'm just waiting for the lights to come in. My friend/co-worker (from AI, Sean) has a RBTA that he says he's had for awhile and it stays small and splits often. I'm going to hopefully buy one from him and hopefully it'll stay small in my tank. Was going to meet with him on Sat. but since I've been sick and was going to Cavalia (btw awesome show! didn't care I was sick, definitely wasn't going to miss it!) I didn't have a chance to meet with him. Also have to get the dwarf darwin clowns from Ken, but hoping to get the bta settled into the tank 1st.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acipenser View Post
Can we get a FTS please !
I have my thanksgiving dinner today so I'm not sure I'll be able to post a pic before then. However I will try to get a fts when I lights come on and post it when I have time. I also want to move some of my other maxi mini's (2-3) from my other tank over but I'm not sure if I'll have enough room for them. For now I'm still debating it, I do want to move over my nice red one but unsure of the others. Might wait and see if my work can get any nice new ones in I'm also running low on cash atm so I might just make do with the ones I've got.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 AM

FTS

Last edited by fishoholic; 10-09-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 AM

Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM

Changed out the heater I was using for awhile it was keeping the tank at 77-78. One morning a few days ago I checked the tank (it was colder outside that night) and the tank was at 74 So I grabbed my 25watt marineland stealth heater and now the tank stays between 78-80. I'm hoping to replace with a better quality adjustable 25watt heater but I guess it'll do for now. I've had 2 stealth heaters fail on me, one sent electrical shocks into the water and the other exploded sending black stuff into the water. Needless to say I don't trust them anymore, unfortunately I have to wait until I get paid before I can replace it Hopefully for a few weeks I won't have any major issues with it
Old 10-21-2012, 03:13 PM

I added a new bubble tip anemone, hopefully I'll be getting the clowns soon, and if I'm lucky enough they'll host it This bta was labeled as a rose but it looks more like a morph of some sort to me. It definitely doesn't look like the RBTA that's in my 230g tank. According to google pic's it's similar to a lemon drop or a rainbow. Not as yellow as some lemon drops look but not as pink as some rainbows look, mine is somewhat in the middle. It has a very bright green/white speckled base and a mostly orange with a slight pink hue tip.

This is the best closest to the actual colour pic I got
Old 10-28-2012, 06:22 PM

Saw this guy on the glass the other day

Also noticed that one of the 2 sexy shrimp I had in my 34g cube was missing. Not sure why, I do have a small radiant wrasse and a gumdrop goby in there so one of them might of eaten him but I'm not 100% sure. To be on the safe side I manged to catch the remaining sexy shrimp out of the 34g cube and I added him to this tank, my 2.5g nano. He's twice the size of the other 2 sexy's in there but they seem ok with each other so far.

Last edited by fishoholic; 10-28-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Nice! I think they look really cute. I'd like some, but after watching Denny's much on his zoas I'm not so sure about buying any. His stars were kind of brownish, though.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Nice! I think they look really cute. I'd like some, but after watching Denny's much on his zoas I'm not so sure about buying any. His stars were kind of brownish, though.
Astrina stars can be hit or miss. Basically 9 times out of 10 they leave things alone and don't do damage, however there are the odd ones that will eat coral. The ones I have are hitchhikers and I've never had any issues (that I'm aware of anyway) with them. I don't think you can buy them, as far as I know they hitchhike in off the rock. Here's a good article about them: http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/in...efkeeping-101-
Old 11-10-2012, 03:20 PM

So I'm still waiting to add a tiny clownfish, but in the meantime I thought adding a porcelain anemone crab would be a good idea. Thought it would host in one of the maxi minis but NOOOOO it went to the BTA and irritated the crap out of it So I ended up moving the crab into my 34g, were he oddly seems to enjoy hanging out on my favia coral.

Here's a pic of him when he was still in the 2.5g

pic of my scarlet crab

and I caught my nassarius snail trying to escape! A few hours after I first got them I found one of them on the computer desk, it had crawled out and was a little ways away from the tank I put him back right away and haven't had any escapees since but this looked close!

I also ended up moving my sexy shrimp from my 34g to this tank. I used to have 2 sexy shrimp in my 34g but one went MIA. I have a gumdrop goby in my 34g which could of eaten it however he's pretty small so I'm not sure if he would, but the 3 of them did hang out in the same coral together. I'm thinking it was more likely the radiant wrasse that's in the 34g, but I don't know for sure. Either way I wasn't going to take any chances with the remaining sexy shrimp so now he's safe in the 2.5g