Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-18-2016, 04:25 AM

daelie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Sorry to hear about your fish, we do our best to keep things alive and well but sometimes these things just happen.

I have a question regarding your lighting. I am running a 6 bulb T5 over a 40g breeder tank and have been thinking about adding Kessils to it. I have seen the Kessils by themselves and they look great but don't want to get rid of the T5's. Do you still get the shimmer and color pop when running both together or do you find the T5's wash the shimmer out? I have run tanks with just LED's and don't want to go down that route anymore. Thanks!
Thanks, it's been a few years since I've lost a fish and it's more the fact that I'm still not even 80% sure as to why.

In regards to the lighting, I do still see a good amount of shimmer from the kessils during midday. But I do ramp up my kessils intensity as well. Over a 40 breeder, you might not be able to ramp up the intensity as much because of the depth, so I'm not completely sure if they'll get washed out. I use my kessils before and after the t5's come on/off as well, so I have some points of just kessils on 10% intensity 0% color which I like in the mornings and late at night before everything goes out. I really do like the color of the tank right now using both.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:38 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daelie View Post
Thanks, it's been a few years since I've lost a fish and it's more the fact that I'm still not even 80% sure as to why.

In regards to the lighting, I do still see a good amount of shimmer from the kessils during midday. But I do ramp up my kessils intensity as well. Over a 40 breeder, you might not be able to ramp up the intensity as much because of the depth, so I'm not completely sure if they'll get washed out. I use my kessils before and after the t5's come on/off as well, so I have some points of just kessils on 10% intensity 0% color which I like in the mornings and late at night before everything goes out. I really do like the color of the tank right now using both.
Thanks for the reply. I have a 36"x24"x20"H tank as well that I'm in the process of setting up again and will be using the same lights. So good to know about the intensity required to get the shimmer effect.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:53 AM

daelie is on a distinguished road

Been a while since my last update. I've done a little bit of redoing the aquascape to be very minimal on the rock in the actual display and since I have both marinepure spheres and siporax in my sump, I haven't seen any negative effect from this change. There's been some good growth and coloration increase with a lot of corals and I saw a good recovery of a red planet frag that was given to me as a very pale sps frag a little over a month ago. I placed it on my frag rack and watched as it slowly regained color and polyp extension. Those pictures below to show the change.

Another SPS I've seen some good growth was my pink lemonade acro, it turned a little green after I ripped it off it's frag plug and glued it onto a rock, but it didn't take very long before the color properly returned and growth took off. Again a couple comparison pics.

A full tank shot with the pumps off, and I still need to tidy up a lot of frag plugs that are lying around, which I'll take of once I set up a frag tank I've been meaning to get running for a little while now.

Finally, I'll end with just a few other pics that I ended up taking after coming home from vacation. And one of the frag rack that I'm hoping to get out of my display in the coming weeks.