Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 11-23-2004, 06:27 AM

Glampyre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AI use to be fairly good on prices. Recent It seems they have jacked up prices, Considering they should be going down. I bought my old frogspawn 2 heads at the time which were fairly large for 25 bucks.
I don't think everyone is looking at the global scale of things. The number of CITES permits issued for coral collection, as well as the availability of high quality, brilliantly coloured corals is decreasing every year. The impact we make as hobbiests is minimal to global reef decline, but we are among the first this end of the globe to see it. I encourage everyone to visit the Terangi website, www.terangi.or.id to see some of the efforts that are being made for sustainable collection.

As for price increases, they are done out of necessity. The cost of operating a farm, importing corals, etc goes up every year. As more people start fragging and the availability of cultured corals increases, they will come back down. In the mean time, all you have to do is ask. If you don't think the price listed on an individual frag is fair, then ask the salesperson for a better one. Sometimes we'll say no, sometimes yes, but you won't know if you don't ask. We are hobbiests too, so we understand where everyone is coming from.