Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-24-2015, 09:51 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Right, now that we've got that out of the way

First off, I thought that on its own merits as a standalone movie it was phenomenal. It had all the hallmarks of a Star Wars movie. Great visuals, actions, pacing, the mythology. They were all there. It was quite entertaining in its own right.

Now, if I may put on my uberfan critics hat..

I felt that it was more like a reboot of Episide IV than a sequal to Episode VI. I've heard this sentiment from a lot of other fans. I guess they decided to play it safe and just recycled all the plot, theme and base story of Episode IV. This is unfortunate (for an uberfan like me), as I was hoping for a somewhat original story. Like most, I didn't like Episode I either, but at least it had somewhat of an original story/theme/plot (within the context of the Star Wars Universe of course). Actually, I felt All Episodes I through VI where pretty original despite their faults (bad acting, dialogue, etc). Episode VII unfortunately didn't feel at all original. You can take the entire script of Episode IV and translate it to Episode VII by just changing genders, and inverting a few themes. Even the ending where they lead into Episode VII felt like we were just about to watch Episode V all over again, and revisiting all of those themes and plots.
Totally agreed. I came away dissapointed after watching it. I liked Star Wars 1 better.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:30 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
Totally agreed. I came away dissapointed after watching it. I liked Star Wars 1 better.
Ya, the uber Star Wars fanatic in me was a bit disappointed but the movie/sci fi fan (I LOVE watching movies) in me was quite satisfied with the entertainment.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Agreed with pretty much everything stated so far.

Movie was great as a stand alone but there was too much reused. We were joking about the nature of the next films death weapon... FIRE THE DEATH BLACKHOLE!! Better yet FIRE THE DEATH GALAXY!

Also the whole "oh no the death planet is charging, we have like 15 minutes to mount an offensive travel across the galaxy find the 15 meter hole in the field generator and blow up the planet thing" was a tad... plot holey.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:43 PM

Plot hole?! I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Rey could wield the Force with no training whatsoever. Not even so much as a mentor like Luke had in Ep. IV. And with no training she was able to stand her ground and beat Kylo even though he was officially trained by both Luke and Snokes ?! Anyway, whatevs, it's Stsr Wars! Pew-Pew!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:07 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Rey using the Force without training was no big deal... Rey using the Force without training... WAS NOOoo big deal *waves hands in the air a few times*.

Pretty stoked they brought back Porkins though haha.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Meh, Rey using the force without any training was really no big deal.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Agree about the lack of an original story. The kid in me totally ignored the nit-picky adult part of me and enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I seriously came out thinking it was the greatest thing ever. I never saw the originals in theatre so this (for me) was finally seeing a great star wars movie on the big screen.

I couldn't believe how quickly i latched onto the new characters. they've got a lot of developing to do but that's ok. I loved Kylo Ren and I think it's neat we get to see his evil potential but know that he's still a total noob and will grow. Who knows maybe Rey had training as a kid and was made to forget. Or maybe her potential is so great she has an advantage. Either way, she's obviously a skilled combatant and the lightsaber is just a tool like her staff she kicked ass with already.

Seeing it again with work on the 30th and my wife has also said she wants to go back for a date night.