Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-29-2015, 05:43 PM

bigmac is on a distinguished road
Default Water Filtration Method

Hi All!
I'm considering using an unorthodox water filtration method on my new tank (still in planning stages obviously). I have in the past used an RO/DI on my old 100 gallon tank. Even with a booster pump I wasn't impressed with the output (and wastewater factor).

I'm considering using 3 systems plumbed together that will be strictly 3 sediment filters, 3 carbon filters and 3 DI chambers. Therefore no RO membranes and no wastewater.

I understand that I'm going to get a lot of different opinions on this as there are a lot of different methods that are used (straight tap water, RO, etc.). I guess I'm looking to see if anyone else uses the method that I am suggesting.

It's worth noting that I'm in Calgary (as some of you may ask about the water quality based on geographical region).
Old 01-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Oops; sorry!
It's been a while since I've posted. I'll figure out why this was posted to Canada Corals.

Moderators - Would you be so kind as to move this to the "Reef" thread? Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

Have you considered not using RODI water at all. Its very fast from the tap, and waste water is completely up to you...
Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 PM

When I first started my 100 gallon; I was using tap water exclusively. I had concerns with some algae blooms. I then started using RO water from one of the grocery stores; but lugging around the plastic bottles became extremely cumbersome. That is why I bought the RO/DI system eventually.

I did like the way my salt mixed with the RO/DI over the tap water. I used Reefers Best salt and it just seemed that there wasn't any residue with RO/DI and there was with tap water.

My thought is to go somewhere in between full RO/DI and tap water so that I can make water faster, with a pretty decent amount of filtration, and zero waste.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM125 View Post
Have you considered not using RODI water at all. Its very fast from the tap, and waste water is completely up to you...
That would work great... If you don't want anything fancy in your tank.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

You could always save your waste water and use it to water plants or if you're really handy, plumb it into a toilet.

I have 2 100 GPD Vertex Puratek Deluxe units and it supplies me with all I need. I almost bought a 200 GPD unit during J&L's boxing day sale but who needs 400 GPD.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Good point; I forgot to include my potential stocking list. That will have a bearing on it for sure.

My preference is for a lot of movement in the tank; therefore I'm not going to be having any SPS (for some reason they just don't speak to me). The corals will be Elephant Ear, rose bubble tip, xenia, frogspawn, hammer, torch and green star polyps (GSP); etc. And to note, the GSP will only be allowed to grow on the side walls of the glass (to be kept in check with razor blades). I don't want that stuff anywhere on the rocks as I know it will slowly take over.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
That would work great... If you don't want anything fancy in your tank.
I find this to be a load of bull , no offense but my system is all tap water for years I have no problems keeping " fancy " things or what ever that's supposed to mean lol and im not cheap and comsider my taste very highend so I don't buy common stuff .....so maybe you can enlighten me as to why I wouldn't be able to keep fancy things using tap water exactly? Maybe I'll learn something new lol
Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Vendor

eli@fijireefrock.com is on a distinguished road

Your method of filtration is fine but I wouldn't use DI resin as it will get depleted faster than having run in conjuction with a membrane.
I thought of doing a similar setup to my system running only filtration with no membrane as I like to keep some of the ions after filtering to go to my system...
Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli@fijireefrock.com View Post
Your method of filtration is fine but I wouldn't use DI resin as it will get depleted faster than having run in conjuction with a membrane.
I thought of doing a similar setup to my system running only filtration with no membrane as I like to keep some of the ions after filtering to go to my system...
That's something I hadn't thought of; thanks for that point of view. That would mean I could go with 3 sediment and 3 carbon (assuming I use 2 of the 3 stage systems; of which I already have one). You just saved me some money; which I'll use to buy some dry rock from you once I'm ready for it……wait a minute, I see what you did there! Very clever!