Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM

W1ngz is on a distinguished road

I've been dosing sugar, just because I don't regularly have vinegar around. It really tastes terrible in coffee...

I've never really looked, but is there any sort of long term results comparing the three?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:17 PM

theokie is on a distinguished road

I've been using Vinegar and Vodka for several months now with great results. I still get random algae in my frag tank but that is more a result of overfeeding and GFO being depleted. When I change out my GFO algae disappears. I probably should up my dose as my maintenance dose doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore as I'm having to change out 1 cup of GFO every two weeks on a 275 gallon system

I've considered going VSV or even adding Vitamin C to the mix, just haven't been home enough to risk fiddling with things.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:52 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

I have dosed Vodka, Sugar and Vinegar for quite a while. I discontinued the sugar portion about a year ago as I read somewhere, maybe RC, that it was not good for corals. I am now working on another type filtration that gets rid of PO4, NO3, Dinos, Cyano, Bryospis etc. More later...

Last edited by TimT; 12-18-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:55 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I have dosed Vodka, Sugar and Vinegar for quite a while. I discontinued the sugar portion about a year as I read somewhere, maybe RC, that it was not good for corals. I am now working on another type filtration that gets rid of PO4, NO3, Dinos, Cyano, Bryospis etc. More later...
yeah there seems to be a fair bit of people who report issues especially with lps and dosing sugar based products exclusively
Old 12-18-2014, 04:07 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

based on this im guessing I should switch to vinegar or maybe both. does anyone know the ratio?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Same ratio as what Brad mentioned, just no sugar.

I wonder if the negative reaction of corals to sugar has anything to do with white sugar now being GMO?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:19 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM125 View Post
based on this im guessing I should switch to vinegar or maybe both. does anyone know the ratio?
if you go on RC theres a few threads where they have broken down some products to find the ratio , for example nopox was 6: 1 ethanol to acitic acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Today is "make my grad students do aquarium experiments" day in my lab. I had a student take an NMR of NOPOX (see attached image for spectrum).

It is...

6:1 EtOH:AcOH (ethanol : acetic acid). The AcOH is ~3%.

So you can make your own NOPOX (roughly) by adding 1 part vinegar to 1 part 30% ethanol.

There are a couple impurities around 3 ppm, but otherwise it's quite clean stuff.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 PM

target is on a distinguished road

Is there a minimum time for a tank to be running before you'd want to start dosing vodka? My tank has been running for about 8 weeks and is still very lightly stocked and only a few coral frags. Should dosing wait until the tank is more established?
Old 12-18-2014, 04:37 PM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

I've read that organic carbon sources eventually break down to acetate, which is what the bacteria use (whether it be vodka, sugar, vitamin c etc), so you might as well just dose vinegar. This is possibly also why some other carbon sources can encourage growth of cyano, as n&p reducing bacteria can't take them up immediately but perhaps cyano can.

I think the only real justification I've heard for using vodka, for example, instead of vinegar is volume and ease of dosing. It can be difficult to dose a large enough volume of vinegar at one time without affecting pH, so unless you're using a dosing pump, you need to manually dose multiple times during the day. However, saturating the vinegar with calcium hydroxide eliminates this problem, and gives the added bonus of a small pH boost and some additional elemental supplementation. Win, win, win.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:49 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Same ratio as what Brad mentioned, just no sugar.

I wonder if the negative reaction of corals to sugar has anything to do with white sugar now being GMO?
I don't think we want to open that can of worms in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
I've read that organic carbon sources eventually break down to acetate, which is what the bacteria use (whether it be vodka, sugar, vitamin c etc), so you might as well just dose vinegar. This is possibly also why some other carbon sources can encourage growth of cyano, as n&p reducing bacteria can't take them up immediately but perhaps cyano can.

I think the only real justification I've heard for using vodka, for example, instead of vinegar is volume and ease of dosing. It can be difficult to dose a large enough volume of vinegar at one time without affecting pH, so unless you're using a dosing pump, you need to manually dose multiple times during the day. However, saturating the vinegar with calcium hydroxide eliminates this problem, and gives the added bonus of a small pH boost and some additional elemental supplementation. Win, win, win.
Good to know