Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Incredible Aquarium

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2014, 12:31 AM

ronau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fesso View Post
I thought about the possibility of mounting the Gyre on the overflow but then I thought about surface skimming. ideally we want the flow in our tanks to suspend detritus and direct it to the overflow for skimming. If one were to mount the Gyre under the overflow teeth I think it would push the detritus away from the teeth. The wall of water coming from the pump is quite significant. Maybe the thing to do would be have the one on the overflow set in reverse so that it sucks water toward the overflow instead of pushing away from it...
When I feed I shut down my return, my Gyre is opposite my overflow. I was playing around and added food right in front of it at 70% and I watched a few pieces travel all the way across to the overflow then come back again along the bottom quarter of the tank then get sucked into the Gyre and spat all the way across again....
I know they don't recommend it but what about putting it on the overflow side, upside down and at the bottom of the tank? There will be plenty of velocity to get detritus moving and it'll be at the lowest velocity when passing by the overflow. This probably would be a disaster if not in a bare bottom tank.