Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > JL Aquatics

Old 10-11-2014, 07:47 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

I like base rock.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

You could order if from Eli at Fiji Reef Rock. I believe it's free shipping over $200.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

+1 on the Fiji Reef Rock from Eli. Way betther than the Marco Rock or whatever it is at J&L, I've used both. Just be sure to cure the PO4 out of it before you use it.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:01 PM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

Its a new tank doesn't even have water in it yet-well it did just to check for leaks and stuff. And he does seem to have some nice stuff.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:16 PM

kamloops_reefer is on a distinguished road

I guess back to the point - the only thing you could be disappointed about is that no one was able to answer your question. Being disappointed that they don't have rock in stock and for whatever reason, you feel this will delay your build - is your own choice. there are plenty of other people that will have rock for sale.

I would say the situation just sucks but is the reality of how other businesses also operate - purchasers get time off too.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:22 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
OK, I can't leave well enough alone

Most threads I read from people using dry/dead rock end with algae problems. In time, they also suffer all the other pests introduced from corals bases, etc.

Cost - It's an expensive hobby, live with it
die off - seriously? It's a few days curing and skimming
aiptasia/majano - can happen regardless of source of rock
bryopsis - algae, it comes in with other stuff as well, keep your nutrients in check
Predatory hitchhikers - almost always easy to remove
Rarer/deadlier? - not even sure what you're talking about
Destruction of habitat - again, seriously? Unless you have a tank of rock, I'm guessing you have some ocean creatures in your tiny glass box. I'm sure they appreciate your effort to preserve what used to be their home. Although the fact that they will eventually die in your livingroom probably reduces that appreciation by some degree.

I have used at least 500 pounds of real live rock over the last 12 years, mostly bought from J&L. I once got a mantis. It jumped out of the rock back into the box it shipped in. Troublesome indeed. Another time I got 9 isopods. Nasty little blood suckers. Took 20 minutes to catch them and it was kinda fun.
Mostly I just had really nice tanks with 0 nutrient or algae problems ever. Biggest regret? I'm a bad resource for giving advice on dealing with problems encountered with everything you claim is bad.

ok then.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:48 PM

rsisvixen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamloops_reefer View Post
I guess back to the point - the only thing you could be disappointed about is that no one was able to answer your question. Being disappointed that they don't have rock in stock and for whatever reason, you feel this will delay your build - is your own choice. there are plenty of other people that will have rock for sale.

I would say the situation just sucks but is the reality of how other businesses also operate - purchasers get time off too.
Well if its something you sell a lot of and is a common thing people buy then you should have it in stock or at least know that its been ordered and on its way, not tell your customer you can't even check that till your purchasing manager gets back ( don't get me wrong everyone deserves a vacation ) But it could have been better organized so employees are aware of incoming shipments or lack thereof.
Its not like I was looking for something thats rare or had to be special ordered.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Gp Scott is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure on the base rock j&l sells but eli from fijiji reef rock has some nice pukani rock. I purchased from him about a month ago about 74 lbs I gave it a bleach bath and meta tic acid bath and put in tank then I purchased 60lbs live Fiji rock that had lots of coralaian alga on and being new to the hobbie was worth it checking out all the critters living in it and new growth coral on the rocks. And I think by doing that I never really seen a tank cycle but I let it run with nothing in it for a couple weeks. I have had fish and coral in tank for about a week now. I have hair alga on the dry pukani rock that the fish love eating and the Fiji rock is building more corelane
Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 PM

jlaquatics is on a distinguished road

Rsisvixen,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I'm not getting notification emails from Canreef and I've got to look in to that right now.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss the type of rock you are wanting. I can understand your position, and this situation has no doubt been complicated by the fact that we are making some changes to our dry rock offerings and our purchaser is key in that. Normally our staff are able to give you an ETA that will be relatively accurate.

Talk to you soon - I'll do my best to bring you up to speed on our base rock situation.

Jeff O'Neill
J&L Aquatics Ltd.