Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 09-13-2004, 03:33 PM

Rick_B is on a distinguished road

I chose AI as the best long before I even considered a job. Come on up to Edmonton and look around. We don't have as many retailers of salt as you guys in Calgary have. We only really have AI and Big als as major suppliers. Big als is only concerned about the sale, not the end result of the tank, trust me, if big als really cared they wouldn't have order sheets to fill out, they would give you a staff member. AI gives each customer the time of day.

BTW, thanks to all you Calgarians who gave me the info on where the good stores were. Oceans and Wai's were my favorites!

Rick
Old 09-13-2004, 09:07 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

The problem with AI is that they can't seem to hold onto their best staff members.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 09-13-2004, 09:55 PM

Rick_B is on a distinguished road

Define "best" and who?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:31 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_B

BTW, thanks to all you Calgarians who gave me the info on where the good stores were. Oceans and Wai's were my favorites!

Rick
Sure Rick, but we are talikng about first impressions, and brief ones at that. Visit each store more often, and most importantly talk to the owner. You might find you only have one left. I did.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 09-15-2004, 03:53 PM

Dabbler is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Edmonton where all our beer is cold

I also find AI to have the best selection of corals and there fish seem to be a better quality. But that said Big Al's does have some better prices on some equipment. I shop both stores but it mostly livestock from AI and equipment from Big Al's. The people are great at AI. They do have the time to talk "fish" and they do Q all there saltie fish (I like that) I bought my Power Blue tang from there and I was able to watch him for 3 weeks in QT. It had gotten ick and they wouldn't let me take him/her home untill he/she was better, thats what I like about AI. Big AL's has only been here in the city for 2-3 years AI has been here 10-12 years I think. AI does have a staff turn over but so does Big AL's. You can't just deal with one store you have to keep looking around and catch the "BIG SALES" when you can. Good luck

PS. Whats wrong with a sleeping bag and a milk crate for a tv stand?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:12 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbler
You can't just deal with one store you have to keep looking around and catch the "BIG SALES" when you can. Good luck
I disagree. Being the idealist I am ( ), I shopped only at AI, while I lived near enough to get there. I don't believe in supporting stores who I feel engage in unethical practices.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 09-15-2004, 05:30 PM

Dabbler is on a distinguished road

As many people here know I do stand up and buy alot of my stuff from AI, but when some products (always equipment) are $20-$30 cheaper on a $50 item I tend to go for the cheaper one but if it is only $2-$3 I will just buy it where I am. I live close to AI in the west end and going to Big AL's on the south side is a planed trip. I don't cheap out when it comes to my fish and tanks but if I can save a few bucks I will. This hobby/lifestyle is expensive, I sat down once and figured out what I spent on tanks and stuff for them..... well you all know the answer to that one I have only been in this hobby for 2 1/2 years and it all started with 2 Betta's now I have 5 tanks and over 300 gal's of water and 75 fish ( fresh and salt).

Sorry just had to clarify my point.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:59 PM

jgoldsney is on a distinguished road

I find it difficult to support local stores when they price them selves out of the market. I look at prices at AI and Big Al's and some of them are so far out of line it's not funny. I have seen items $30 - $40 more than online retailers (and this is on things priced less than $100) and even more out of whack for higher priced things.

I do like when ever possible to support local businesses but I only have so much disposable $$ and I have to consider what is best for my tank.

I wish places like AI or Big Al's or even the Family Pet Center in Sherwood Park would keep an eye on what things were going for online and try to find ways of evening things out for the customers who give them their business.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:28 PM

Glampyre is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I've seen lots of comments on costs of products at LFS versus online retailers and had to though in my two cents. Local shops (and lord help me even chain stores like AL's although they have it alot easier, volumn buying creates great discounts) will never be able to out price online retailers. Simple math on this guys. Cost of website and a telephone to set up tranship from a manufacturer, versus cost of retail store front, staffing, inventory and operating costs (We've all seen that little jump in our power bills from a 180 gal, imagine running 20 of them!) LFS's do try to monitor what online retailers are doing, but the costs running a store have to be factored in somewhere. Most stores are more than willing to work with their customers to everyones benefit. If there is a drastic price difference, let them know. If there are products you see online that aren't available here, let them know. They may be unaware of the demand for them or have reasons that you aren't aware of for not carrying them (CSA standards are a BIG factor).
I have no problem with online shopping, most of my motorcycle collection came from JP's online. Just try to compare apples to apples when looking at pricing.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:06 PM

jgoldsney is on a distinguished road

Ahh but I guess that I would counter with the fact that if it is so cheap to set up a web based store why don't they do it to.

Both JL *& SaltwaterConnection have local stores as well as online sales and they are very competitive.