Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Hydroponics store carry 30% also
Old 05-15-2014, 03:16 PM

pinkreef is on a distinguished road

Is using the commonly sold 3% stuff the same thing?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:10 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkreef View Post
Is using the commonly sold 3% stuff the same thing?
yes, but I'm not sure I'd put 30% H2O2 directly in a tank, that stuff is crazy reactive. Most accounts I've read of people who use it for whatever purpose dilute it down to 3% before letting it come in contact with water/rocks.

When you do automated particle size analysis in a soils lab you need to digest all the organics in your sample or it messes up the sand/silt/clay distributions. My lab uses 30% peroxide to do it. The reaction is usually strong enough to boil the water in your reaction vessel. If you get it on your skin it instantly turns snow white to a depth of about half a mm, though if you rinse it off right away it will eventually get its normal colour back.

It's very potent stuff. Safer for all involved if it's diluted first. The benefit of 30% is that you get more for your money, and if you ever wanted to make a batch with a higher concentration for something like cleaning a filter sock you could.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Relect is on a distinguished road

The 3% from the drug store usually has a stabilizer added to prolong shelf life once opened. For salmon we use 200 ppm of 35% for prophylactic treatment of fungus with no harm to fish. We dilute and use immediately as once mixed with water the extra oxygen molecule leaves the solution. This also raises D.O. quite a lot.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 PM

Oh ya wear gloves and eye protection.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relect View Post
The 3% from the drug store usually has a stabilizer added to prolong shelf life once opened. For salmon we use 200 ppm of 35% for prophylactic treatment of fungus with no harm to fish. We dilute and use immediately as once mixed with water the extra oxygen molecule leaves the solution. This also raises D.O. quite a lot.
Don't they have to add stabilizers to the 35% stuff as well? I thought H2O2 without a stabilizer present decomposes rapidly regardless of the concentration?

My bottle says the stabilizers are:
Sodium stannate
Sodium nitrate
Sodium pyrophosphate
Methylenephosphonic acid
Phosphoric acid

4 out of 5 of those would basically just add small amounts of nitrate and phosphorous to the water. Each of the phosphorous containing compounds should be bio-available, though I don't think the methylenephosphonic acid would register on the test kits we use as it's an organic compound. The bottle doesn't say what concentrations of each are in it, but assuming you've got functioning nutrient export systems in place and you're dosing relatively small amounts I doubt you'd be inadvertently adding to your problem

The one that concerns me is sodium stannate, as that has tin in it. I found this article in reef keeping that only briefly talks about tin: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.php

The basic gist is that no one knows anything about tin or its role in marine ecosystems, but that tin concentrations in aquarium are already 200,000 times higher than natural sea water.

So that's definitely something to think about. Now that I've read this I think I'd be a little more comfortable with dosing peroxide if I could find a brand that did not have sodium stannate as a stabilizer, but I don't know if such a thing exists or not?
Old 05-16-2014, 05:09 AM

Ours doesn't list the stabilizers used anywhere on the label or msds but it does say it is approved for aquaculture by health canada.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:12 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Ok. Here's my dosing schedule
Thanks for the info Dez - Greatly appreciated
Old 05-19-2014, 04:06 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Does dosing hydrogen peroxide have any effect on corals? I thought some corals culture photosynthetic algae?

Also, don't tangs and some other fish need some algae to graze on? I don't think just nori is good enough for them.

I found the best solution to beating excess algae was to get the phosphates right down to zero (hanna checker, not the color test kits) with HC GFO. Then any hair algae would literally let loose, and was easy to clean up. But as soon as the P04 got up to near 0.1, it would reappear. And SPS does best when it is near zero.