Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-28-2014, 03:51 PM

Mahawka is on a distinguished road

I just want to tell you installing a RODI under your sink is easier then putting a lego castle together.

Firstly, I do not recommend using a saddle clamp. They are not reliable and prone to leaking. And if you want to take your system out now you are stuck with a hole in your pipe. Doing it right from the beginning will save you a lot of hassle in the future.

I am also using an aquasafe 7 stage RODI system. They are super cheap and I get ZERO TDS from my water. I paid $135 before tax & free shipping for the system. It came with a free TDS meter. In less then 2 years it would of paid for it self. Ask their Reps for discount codes. They always have 15% off.
http://www.aquasafecanada.com/store/...e-ro-di-system

Now for the installing process. For under the sink I would recommend a simple T. Or you can even get a simple Kitchen Faucet Adaptor. All you have to do is screw it on to your tap (see link)
http://www.aquasafecanada.com/store/...faucet-adaptor

But back to the T valve you can get one from home depot for $6. All you need is a 3/8" x 3/8" x 1/4" Plumbing T. Standard Canadian facuet water lines are 3/8". And from there it's simple. Screw the T on and plug the RODI water line in.
http://www.aquasafecanada.com/store/...umbing-adapter
Here are some pic. Feel free to ask me questions.

p.s. I live in ward 13 (Somerset) we have more then enough PSI to run the RODI system.

Attachment 12726

Last edited by Mahawka; 03-31-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drfu View Post
Mike so what your saying is filling up after a wc directly from the rodi unit doesnt work, good to know. I just assumed doing the math the gph would have been a bit more. Thx again
Not sure what you mean by 'filling up after a wc directly....'? Filling up what? Your tank or sump? I have a separate container to mix up my water for water changes. Always fill that, add salt & mix for at least a couple of days before doing water change. Water changes for me involve siphoning the display & then bucket brigading 23 gallons of fresh salt water up from the basement. Good workout.

My sumpless 77 gallon Hagen evaporates about a gallon of water per day, so I use glass wine carboys that hold approx. 6 gallons of fresh RODI water as automatic top up directly into my display. A small air pump on a timer keeps the carboy pressurized & the water gets pushed to the display through a mechanical float valve. Takes about 2 hours to fill one of the carboys. Production rate is highly dependent on water pressure & temperature, so don't necessarily expect to get the advertised gpd from your unit.

Last edited by mike31154; 03-28-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Drfu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'filling up after a wc directly....'? Filling up what? Your tank or sump? I have a separate container to mix up my water for water changes. Always fill that, add salt & mix for at least a couple of days before doing water change. Water changes for me involve siphoning the display & then bucket brigading 23 gallons of fresh salt water up from the basement. Good workout.

My sumpless 77 gallon Hagen evaporates about a gallon of water per day, so I use glass wine carboys that hold approx. 6 gallons of fresh RODI water as automatic top up directly into my display. A small air pump on a timer keeps the carboy pressurized & the water gets pushed to the display through a mechanical float valve. Takes about 2 hours to fill one of the carboys. Production rate is highly dependent on water pressure & temperature, so don't necessarily expect to get the advertised gpd from your unit.
Mike, sorry for the confusion, i also have a fw tank. I was thinking of just filling up that tank after a wc directly from the ro unit, saving a step.

I mix mu sw in a 6 gallon bucket for 24 hours with its own circulation pump.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:39 PM

ronau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mike, sorry for the confusion, i also have a fw tank. I was thinking of just filling up that tank after a wc directly from the ro unit, saving a step.

I mix mu sw in a 6 gallon bucket for 24 hours with its own circulation pump.
You're still gonna have to remineralize the RO water for you freshwater tank. You can use additives or mix with aged tap water.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronau View Post
You're still gonna have to remineralize the RO water for you freshwater tank. You can use additives or mix with aged tap water.
Is using ro for freshwater a bad thing then? Should i just stick to conditioned tap water? I know Calgary's water is quite good, i let mine sit out for 24 hours in two 5 gallon pails before using plus use water conditioner.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:29 AM

Mahawka is on a distinguished road

I use my waste water from my RODI for my fresh water tank. I find that a higher mineral content in my water makes my FW plants strive.

I don't recommend RODI water for a fresh water planted tank unless you add supplements.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahawka View Post
I use my waste water from my RODI for my fresh water tank. I find that a higher mineral content in my water makes my FW plants strive.

I don't recommend RODI water for a fresh water planted tank unless you add supplements.
Good to know, thx. Do u still have to use Prime on your waste water or is all of the chlorine gone in waste water?
Old 03-31-2014, 02:43 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Good to know, thx. Do u still have to use Prime on your waste water or is all of the chlorine gone in waste water?
The carbon filter plumbed in before your RO membrane takes care of chlorine. Without it, your costly RO membrane wouldn't last very long. So yes, all the chlorine should be gone in your waste water, no need to treat with Prime.

Last edited by mike31154; 03-31-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
The carbon filter plumbed in before your RO membrane takes care of chlorine. Without it, your costly RO membrane wouldn't last very long. So yes, all the chlorine should be gone in your waste water, no need to treat with Prime.
Last question, do you still need to add suppliments with the waste water?

If so what suppliments do you add as of course i dont dose my fw planted tank with anything but flouriish excel?