Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater

Old 08-27-2004, 03:01 PM

Richer is on a distinguished road

Wow, 175+ watts over a 40 gallon for your plants? I sure hope you plan on putting on a CO2 injection system and a nutrient dosing routine real soon... or your fish and plants are going to get smoothered in algae. I know that if I slack off on my 70 gallon (with 220 watts) for a period of time, everything gets choked up with algae. To the more experienced aquarist, you obviously didn't do much research before jumping into this. My suggestiong? Take down those lights, buy yourself a cheap flouresecent setup from Home Depot, and get yourself floating plants. That would bring your light levels down to "low", make things easier on your power bill, algae won't take over your tank, and the floating plants will provide additional cover for your fish.

Good luck with selling Rams... I know that its difficult for the average keeper to break even in this kind of business, and even more difficult for them to make money.

-Richer
Old 08-27-2004, 05:47 PM

DOO-E is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DOO-E Send a message via Yahoo to DOO-E

Of course agree with you 100 percent but you left one thing out. You should also try to mimic their home enviroment to the best of your abilities. This will also give not only the fish but you a happier place to be.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:24 PM

So an algae choked tank will best mimic a ram's environment? No environment is algae free, that would be impossible. However, if you look at a ram's environment, you won't see that its choked with algae. Which your tank will be if you keep those lights up.

-Richer
Old 08-27-2004, 07:47 PM

Richer dont get ahead of yourself here. The algea is receding everyday. Not only have i added some dwarf algea eaters but i have added more plants which are taking up everything that the algea needs to grow. It is slowly but surly receding everyday. I havent posted new pics yet but i will in time.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:38 PM

Ok, I'll hold my tongue until I see pictures then. Its just that with all the years of experience that I've had with plants and advising other people, I've never seen anyone get away with that much lighting on a plant tank without an algae explosion.

-Richer
Old 08-28-2004, 10:22 AM

aznufo is on a distinguished road

the fact that you need to scrape algae off your glass day in/out does not resemble your algae receding, but actually thriving... adding plants takes out a DIMUNITIVE amount of nitrates, but does not help much in clearing up algae. adding more algae eaters, etc. and fish to your aquarium will dissipate the chances of your rams forming pairs and will only add confusion to your "pea soup" (pardon the expression, noticed your green pictures)... what you first need to figure out is if you wanna run a community planted display tank or if you wanna just breed rams... from what WE see that you have posted, you are headed in the wrong direction of what your company seems to be striving for... I have bred and kept freshwater angelfish and discus for years and neons are almost always eaten... different mixtures of fish in your "intended" breeding tank will disrupt breeding cycles and cause your tank to crash. I suggest you read up on some books prior to keeping your tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOO-E
As for rams when they are young and growing like this you should keep them in soft tap water so they get the essential "elements" or whatever you would call them from the water. Now when they are older yes i will keep them with a lower pH but for now when they are young and not breeding I am going to keep them at a slightly acidic Ph so i am not muching wiht the water too much.
acidic water is 'primarily' soft; you said you would keep them at lower pH when they are older, but you also said you're keeping them at a slightly acidic pH, well just to tell you LOW pH does mean ACIDIC, judging from your lack of water chemistry knowledge, you should really read up lots before you start.. because freshwater fish are not as simple as they seem..
Old 08-30-2004, 09:47 PM

Maybe u havent been here or just tried to jump into a canvo u had no idea what was going on or maybe even u got the wrong impression. The rams will stay in that tank along with a pair of agels( tank will be divided) and i am setting up a larger planted display tank. So right now when the rams arent even breeding or showing any sign i am not worried. They even rnt hanging around with each other yet. They just chase other fish off together and sleep together thats all. I know though that they are male female. Once i have an established pair and everything is good for them i will take everything (the fish) out. I am also dimming the light to 2 30 watt power glos and 1 grow bulb over the tank so over all there will be 3 watts per gallon.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:30 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

Ryan, a very good point...!
"Just 'cause they're sleeping together doesn't mean they're breeding..."
I learned that long ago...
Old 08-31-2004, 01:46 PM

Yes that it is hard to tell alot of people think that as soon as they pair off they are what is called a "breeding pair" when they havent even bred yet. Now the angels i have on hold are a breeding pair. How do i know this u may ask. They have eggs in the store right now and are the only angels in the the tank. Cant wait to get them puppies home.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:01 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

Uuuuuh, I wasn't refering solely to fish with that statement... . What I meant was, just because two people are having...aaaaah, never mind.