Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Added a few fish and slugs today courtesy of my frequent flyer friend!

Added:
- red-headed goby
- catalina goby
- two lettuce nudibranchs
- tiger tail cucumber
Old 12-10-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
Added a few fish and slugs today courtesy of my frequent flyer friend!

Added:
- red-headed goby
- catalina goby
- two lettuce nudibranchs
- tiger tail cucumber
After adding the two gobys and the tiger tail only to lose them to my green brittle star I have made one subtraction (the green brittle star) and four new additions:

- One golden head jawfish
- Two common cleaner wrasses
- One Allardi Clownfish

Got the clownfish home and he hangs with my torch coral or the Haddon's carpet. He's obviously a wild caught and has a fair amount of fin damage. He's perking up a little every day and is becoming more mobile. Why do I let myself feel sorry for fishies in the pet store?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:37 AM

It's like a warm cozy blankie...

Aye aye sir!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 PM

So I got tired of having to start the siphon on my eshopps overflow after tank maintenance and feeding, and thought it would be a good time to try something different. I decided on the CPR-100 overflow and Tom's aqualifter pump as I've heard great things about them. I was a little unsure if I'd like the CPR and Aqualifter combo, it just seemed like more things that could go wrong.

My specific requirements were that I wanted something that would stop the overflow when I activated a feed timer and would start again after the cycle was ended. Also it needed to restore the circulation through my sump after a power-outage. Secondary considerations were better skimming, better build quality, quieter, etc.

Starting with the Tom's aqualifter pump I was expecting something kind of hollow feeling and cheap because that's honestly how it looks in the images I've seen of it. Also 90% of aquarium specific gear wind up being made with the least possible amount of materials and in the cheapest manner possible (Coralife are you listening?) The pump is surprisingly hefty and chunky feeling, which in itself doesn't mean quality but is a pretty good start. I plugged the pump in the wall and set it on my floor and it was very loud... Fortunately that's because there wasn't any water moving through it just yet and as soon as it was actually siphoning water it went nearly silent. I am very happy with this unit and I'm a little sorry I haven't had a use for one before now. One of the hangers for the back of the overflow or to hang it to my stand would keep it off the floor which would be pretty handy for cleaning up around the tank.

Moving on to the CPR overflow itself I was a little startled at how much wider it is than the Eshopps model. It is easily twice as wide as the Eshopps and is made of heavier acrylic, with a much wider overflow comb. It is wider at the back and has a slightly different drain that my Eshopps 1" hose wouldn't fit quite snug enough without PVC glue. The good news is that they are very common schedule 80 fittings. The strainer inside the overflow box is a common slip fit strainer with a hole drilled through the top for a vent tube. I'd like to tell a story about how easy it was to set up and level, etc. but the whole truth is that I didn't do squat. I didn't need to. I set it on the back of my aquarium and the water level was perfect without so much as turning a single adjustment screw. Same with leveling it against the back of the tank, I had nothing to do. Once the glue had cured I plugged the Aqualifter into the nipple at the top of the overflow and poured enough water into the back to complete the seal and boom it was running.

The overflow and my pump must have been very well matched because I didn't need to adjust *anything* and the water in the sump and the tank stayed exactly as it was. I was extremely pleased while slightly disappointed at not having to do anything short of lifting the appropriate hoses etc. into place. It is clearly skimming MUCH more surface water due to the increased area of the comb and it is also much quieter than my Eshopps overflow.

So far it's a 10/10 and I still need to try out the feed cycle and see if it works like I am hoping. Also I should point out that the air-line the aqualifter uses should be a pretty heavy gauge, like the ozone resistant kind so that it won't kink quite as easily. The thin stuff I'm using now is pretty weak so it looks like it will easily kink up after a while.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 AM

Check out the tents on this torch coral:

That's a full grown cleaner wrasse in front of it. Here's a picture of the first month I had him:

Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM

Does anyone read these??

So this weekend was a good and not so good for my 90g reef tank. On Friday night I bought two golden head sleeper gobies (one for my tank one for my daughter's), two PJ Cardinals, and a small Copper-Band Butterfly. The Copper and the PJs weren't really a great buy as the copper and one of the PJ's didn't even last 24 hours. They wound up getting picked off by something during the night and they are gone without a trace.

Also went to Golds and got two corals and a rock with macro algae. You would not believe the amount of red worms I got off them when I dipped them. I bought a white bubble coral as well as a peach and baby blue acropora. The acropora was clean but the bubble had at least thirty red worms come off in the dip. I left it in for extra long and blasted the rock with a syringe to make sure that the dip got into all the crevices etc. Also sprayed the coral but more gently. The rock with macro was covered in worms and slugs as well. I pulled off seven large slugs, an emerald crab (freebie woohoo!), three blue-legged hermits, three or four unknown snails, and some sort of polyp (looked like an anemone). Of course it was infested with worms too. The dip looked like a worm collector when I was finished.

Right now they are in a QT and I'm going to dip them again before they go into my DT. Pictures to follow.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:17 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
Does anyone read these??
I don't.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

I read them i read lots but rarely post

Nobody seems to reply on build threads either much lol .

Sound like you got alot more then you paid for lol . They should include a free bottle of dipping solution with each coral they sell lol .
Hopefully you you got all the bad pests ..
Good luck , sorry to hear about the fish lost . Your store have any policy on survival ?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferfulton View Post
I read them i read lots but rarely post

Nobody seems to reply on build threads either much lol .

Sound like you got alot more then you paid for lol . They should include a free bottle of dipping solution with each coral they sell lol .
Hopefully you you got all the bad pests ..
Good luck , sorry to hear about the fish lost . Your store have any policy on survival ?
Yes, Pieces has the SOL policy with regards to fish purchases. (Marine fish only that is) The copper did OK for a little while but deteriorated pretty rapidly. Quite the disappointment because I've been hoping for one for some time now.

Kien: You don't even read your text messages so why would you read a tank thread? :P
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Good thing you dip your corals? So you're shutting off your overflow at feeding time to prevent the food from getting sucked down or?