Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you recall but a while back myself and a few others had batches with ca over 600 and mg below 1000

When I contacted them the insisted that I was mixing my water wrong and suggested I take the powerheads and heater out of my mix tub. To which I replied weather I should do the same in my DT. They refused to admit there analytical was wrong
Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Not sure if you recall but a while back myself and a few others had batches with ca over 600 and mg below 1000

When I contacted them the insisted that I was mixing my water wrong and suggested I take the powerheads and heater out of my mix tub. To which I replied weather I should do the same in my DT. They refused to admit there analytical was wrong
Yah they generally don't want to admit their fault. Like I was able to convince them that mg in one of their batch is below their threshold (they tested their lot sample and found the label on the lot is wrong) so atleast I had some success with them

About their heater issue, although they present it in a wrong way but the concept, to me, is sound. I don't like mixing salt with heater in it because of calcium precipitation. I generally bring the water to room temperature with heater, take it out and then mix the salt. Some salt dissolves in lesser time so having the heater in the bucket will not cause precipitation during mixing but some (like salinity) takes a long time to mix and hence precipitation occurs since heater changes the temperature quicker than the salt can mix.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Brad,
Doesn't using salt on your driveway bother your dog's feet?
I'm hesitant using salt on our steps because I don't want the dogs getting it on their paws.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Brad,
Doesn't using salt on your driveway bother your dog's feet?
I'm hesitant using salt on our steps because I don't want the dogs getting it on their paws.
No, and typically the dogs go out the side door, not the front steps where most of the salt goes. And I figure once it melts, it washes away.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post

About their heater issue, although they present it in a wrong way but the concept, to me, is sound. I don't like mixing salt with heater in it because of calcium precipitation. I generally bring the water to room temperature with heater, take it out and then mix the salt. Some salt dissolves in lesser time so having the heater in the bucket will not cause precipitation during mixing but some (like salinity) takes a long time to mix and hence precipitation occurs since heater changes the temperature quicker than the salt can mix.
I like to have my water at 79/80 before I add it to my DT. Also the results were not after dumping salt in. I checked multiple times after mixing
Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I like to have my water at 79/80 before I add it to my DT. Also the results were not after dumping salt in. I checked multiple times after mixing
Yah I also add the mixed water around 76 (my DT remains at 78). Once heated up, it doesn't seem to go below due to the ambient temperature.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Chris82 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys.
Don't think i will switch does not sound like its anything amazing
Cheers
Chris
Old 12-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
Don't think i will switch does not sound like its anything amazing
Honestly, there isn't anything amazing with any salt. It's all pretty much the same. Unless you have a real problem that you are sure is caused by the salt you're currently using, there's seldom a reason to change.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Honestly, there isn't anything amazing with any salt. It's all pretty much the same. Unless you have a real problem that you are sure is caused by the salt you're currently using, there's seldom a reason to change.
That's why I'm still using Aquavitro Salinity. I haven't had any issues with the #'s, it mixes well and as stated the buckets are fantastic to save (I use it to store my test kits and other items I don't want little fingers or paws getting in to).

No matter what anyone has to say their experiences are their own. Give it a shot if you want, if not don't sweat it. It's not like you're missing out on anything really.