Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-12-2013, 09:23 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Part of the problem is that "worth" and "value" are very subjective terms which underscore the phrase, "You get what you pay for." We've already got plenty of examples of this with your car analogy.

In our household we do own a more expensive Audi which in my opinion is over priced for what you get. It has 4 wheels that gets you from point A to Point B. My much cheaper Murano does the same thing and is actually much more comfortable to drive and hauls more junk in the trunk.

And I for one don't think it's expensive to buy a bucket of H2Ocean while everyone who uses IO will think it's ridiculously expensive. Meanwhile, I went to Starbucks rather than Tim Hortons for a coffee today. Did I get what I paid for? Well, I paid $5 for a coffee and I got a $5 coffee, so I guess I got what I paid for

Bottom line, yes, you get what you pay for, and no, you don't get what you pay for.
Holy grape from the tree! That line just escalated the whole thread

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

I don't think your going to win this one bud.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I've been running Tunze 6100 pumps since they came out. One is from the original shipmant J&L received. I've replaced the impeller once. I put it in this tank 4 years ago, pointed it, and it goes.

I recently bought a much less expensive WP60. More flow, sure. But every couple of weeks is starts sucking air from the surface. That annoys me, I have to play with it. I also find that in most modes, I can hear it in the next room.

As Scott stated above, barring monetary barriers, I would choose a Tunze over a budget Jabeo any day. That being said, my expectations for the WP60 are much lower, and overall, I feel with both pumps, I got what I paid for.
Tunzi is definitely better and possibly the best powehead out there. But there are tanks running wps and doing alright (can't say successful since its too early to judge). Tunzi suits your need and hence you went for that. But I am pretty sure there will be people out there saying "ahhhh you should have bought vortech since they are the most expensive and coolest powerhead out there"....what will you say to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I don't think your going to win this one bud.
There's no winning or loosing over here Bill Its just a small empty tank hungry for fuel And since Brad told me you are going to kill me if I open a poll, I opened this thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 PM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

To me this is a hobby and it is for the majority of us. Certain hobbies aren't cheap... in hobbies there are die hards, enthausist and the more mild crowd. We plan a lot of our lives around our tanks and fork out a good chunk of our income in hopes to succeed in this hobby. The majority aren't trying to make a buck on this, in the end we know we will forfeit our money to succumb to the joys of watching and sharing the growth of our reefs. In the end, it is the difference in the amount money it takes to get to a state where we are happy. This will differ from person to person, our enjoyment from this hobby not only comes from the success of our tanks but our pride in the choice of equipment we choose to run.

I agree, its possible to have a stunning system with cheaper barebones equipment as long as the person knows what they are doing and keeping up religiously with maintanence. There are so many circumstances to a successful tank, but we all have our own theoretical way of getting there. I don't think its fair to knock on the expensive equipment and call them hype because we all have the option of not buying them due to lots of community reviews.

Last edited by gqlmao; 12-12-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 PM

darkreef is on a distinguished road

I don't go by you get what you pay for . I go by you get what effort you put in.

The fancy stuff is just to make are lazy lives easyier .

No one wants to top off or do water changes .
But even that doesn't have to break the bank and loose the house

But maintenance equipment make me feel like money well spent
(Skimmers, ato , more snails! , extra pump for wc ect.)

But a extra 500$ for lights that may up my coral growth a few inches a year doesn't .
Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreef View Post
But a extra 500$ for lights that may up my coral growth a few inches a year doesn't .
But if you sold frags, you'd more than recover that $500 with those extra inches.

Also, often, when paying more, you get greater reliability and warranty. Not always, but often. I expect that my 8 year old Tunze will still be going long after my WP60 dies.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
But if you sold frags, you'd more than recover that $500 with those extra inches.

Also, often, when paying more, you get greater reliability and warranty. Not always, but often. I expect that my 8 year old Tunze will still be going long after my WP60 dies.
Come on Brad do you really think a hobbyist can "recover" money by selling frags? Whatever comes out of the tank goes in with added interest

Old 12-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Come on Brad do you really think a hobbyist can "recover" money by selling frags? Whatever comes out of the tank goes in with added interest
Absolutely. I put very little into my tank these days. I've probably made $15 for every $5 I've added this year.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. I put very little into my tank these days. I've probably made $15 for every $5 I've added this year.
We all look forward to that

Old 12-12-2013, 10:38 PM

darkreef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Couldn't have said that better .. I never could make money off the hobby .
It a addiction , and you can't make money off something your addicted to .

If I was a vendor then yes lights , dosers , all on nutrition for them corals.

As a hobby, I'd rather not walk away from my tank soaked