Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-02-2004, 02:48 AM

yagimax is on a distinguished road
Default Health concern What not to do

cptclever. check out J&L's PVC Aquagloves that cover the entire arm.
Good insurance if you have nicks or scrapes on your hands .

Gary
Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw

Dead links
Hmm, sorry about that. I must have missed something. I check it out later.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:56 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptclever
Chad, you wear normal latex gloves? Do you use the non-powdered type (doubt if the powder would be good for corals)? Do you use these when simply working in shallow water? What about hand protection within the tank?
I got the Aqua Gloves from coralife(?) and non-powdered latex gloves for working with the corals. I've also wrapped a elastic on my wrist (for short periods) and stick my hand with the latex gloves into the tank to do some delicate work.

BTW, I found the non-powdered gloves hard to find.. If anyone knows of a more common place to get em please let me know..

Old 08-02-2004, 08:48 PM

Cap'n is on a distinguished road

Those Aquagloves look pretty bulky, think I'll try the latex gloves with elastic for now. We use the nitrile, non-powdered gloves at the studio all the time, I'll find out where they get them from.
Thanks for the info yagimax and chad
You all play safe out there.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default polyp toxin

was trying to chiesel a polyp rock in half and swearing loudly cause it was so hard. when it cracked felt something mushy flew into my mouth. sped into washroom spat it out and gargled away entire bottle of listerine. very fortunate my swallow reflex didn't kick in when that happened
Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 PM

SeaShell is on a distinguished road
Default Non Powdered Latex or Nitrile Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I got the Aqua Gloves from coralife(?) and non-powdered latex gloves for working with the corals. I've also wrapped a elastic on my wrist (for short periods) and stick my hand with the latex gloves into the tank to do some delicate work.

BTW, I found the non-powdered gloves hard to find.. If anyone knows of a more common place to get em please let me know..

I buy them all the time for work..... Try Ackland Grainger or any other safety supply store or laboratory supply store.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Ya know, we get a post like this every year or two. Maybe we need to make one of these a sticky.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i never use gloves and find the SW helps accelerate the healing process. i work around tin, and have numourus cuts at any given time. guess i should consider being more careful.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Captainhemo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ya know, we get a post like this every year or two. Maybe we need to make one of these a sticky.
I've noticed the same thing. Good idea !

Maybe inclde the RC llinks and a link to info on palytoxin such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palytoxin
Lots more links on google

Last edited by Captainhemo; 06-23-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM

S.D is on a distinguished road

Hi Chad,

You and I sound like we're related LOL!!! I too wear the same sort of protective gear when I frag zoos....protective eye gear, mask, gloves etc... I always wear non-powdered gloves in our tanks when feeding and moving things around because I've noticed that my hands tingle and some of my fingers lose the feeling in them when I don't. I only have this happen when I'm in the tank that contains our zoos. Since wearing gloves, I don't have any problems with what I have described above.

With regards to the non-powdered gloves, I have good success finding them through medical supply stores that sell to the public. We have a number of them here in Abbotsford, hopefully you have some of the same stores where you're located. If by chance you don't, another way you can have access to them is if you go to your local pharmacy and ask them to specially order the non-powdered gloves in for you.

Hope this helps,
Sarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post