Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 PM

DumpTruck is on a distinguished road
Default new too this

i am very new to this hobby but i just feed my clowns and my gobbey mysis and my corals amenio acids. everything is happy and full of colour. i have a friend that uses the garlic with his mysis and the fish love it.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:53 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
No idea, I've never fed corals.
I don't understand why people waste their money feeding corals yet target feeding them. Waste of money IMO. Fish poop is good enough.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:06 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

I feed my fish a mixture of flake and pellet food every day and when I remember to do it I will dump half a cube of defrosted shrimp/phytoplankton or a mixture of both.

As to feeding coral I have never fed or target fed my coral and they all grow like crazy.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:07 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I don't understand why people waste their money feeding corals yet target feeding them. Waste of money IMO. Fish poop is good enough.
Agreed. I think I've target fed my frogspawn twice to show someone that they actually can eat meat, but other than that, fish poop is the only thing on the menu
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
I feed my fish a mixture of flake and pellet food every day and when I remember to do it I will dump half a cube of defrosted shrimp/phytoplankton or a mixture of both.

As to feeding coral I have never fed or target fed my coral and they all grow like crazy.
Crazy you say? Let's see some pics
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Enough to keep them alive? Probably. Enough to keep them happy and healthy, probably not.
A better, more varied diet will make them stronger and better able to deal with stress and warding off disease. For the 118 seconds it takes to prepare some mysis, it's likely a worthwhile investment.
Agree with you Brad, I feed both tanks a variety of foods, pellets, frozen Mysis, cyclopees, garlic enhanced Omega One flake food and of course Nori usually once a day. I have coral foods as well, but don't notice much difference in their appearance using it or not. Heck some days I forget to feed at all. To me that's more like life in the real ocean and keeps the fish hunting for their food and not fussy eaters.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

for those of u that dont feed corals.. do u have a high nutrient system? Are shrimp pellets good for LPS? the guy at the LFS was trying to sell me the LPS pellets and they were 6x the price so i just bought the shrimp pellets... my plate and scoly seems to eat it but my hammer and frogspawn spits it out.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

No, I have a very low nutrient system, mostly SPS, but the LPS I have grow like crazy. All they really need is light.