Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 07-25-2004, 06:54 PM

tstevens is on a distinguished road
Default Dosing Questions

Hi again all,

Forgive me for my newbiness, I'm fairly new to reefs as well as this forum.

My question is what additives do you all use for dosing your reefs, and what works best for what animals?

Currently, I'm adding 1/4 tsp. of Reef Evolution Calcium every day, and 3/4 capful of Phytoplankton once a week.

Also I feed 1 cube of frozen brine shrimp every other day and a pinch of Nutrafin morsels once a day.

Next week I'll be picking up some more suppliments but not sure whether to go with Seachem, Kent Marine, or Coralife's Line.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Troy Stevens
Old 07-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Troy, first you need to detemine if you really need supplements. Is your Ca becoming depleted between water changes? By how much? Dosing kalk is probably all you'll ever need. Some people dose Iodine, but if you decide to do this for some reason, make sure you have a test kit so you know what the levels are.
My opinion on all these additives is that they are only to make the shelf at the LFS look full. I wouldn't dump them in my tank. The exception to this is in the event I have to correct a Ca or alk level problem, which is rare.
All the other junk is great if you need to spend money on something, but maybe buy a new coral instead.
As for the phytoplankton, what are you feeding with it?
Old 07-25-2004, 07:41 PM

Hey Reef_rat,

I have 3 different types of Zoo's, 1 Finger Leather, one Curilique Anemone, and one Caribbean Pink Anemone. I also have about 18lbs LR and 10lbs of dead coral which is in the process of being seeded by the other LR.

For fish I have one Perc, one Sebae Clown, One Scooter Blenny, and one Blue Damsel.

For Crustacians I have one Anemone crab and one rock crab that hitchhiked with the LR.

One the LR there are also MANY feather dusters mostly very small.

I', dosing the plankton in hopes of enhancing growth in the corals as well as the Anemones.

Thanks for the input, I truly appreciate it.

Troy
Old 07-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Troy, the corals don't feed on phyto, but the anemone crab may, depending on species. The feathers may also eat it. The corals may eat bits of fish food or plankton generated from pods and such, and the anemones should be fed directly with meaty foods every now and then.
None of those things uses calcium in appreciable amounts, and regular water changes should keep your levels right on target.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:16 PM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

Hey Troy.

I'm with Brad - you shouldnt dose anything unless your test kit says its low.

Like the guy in the ING commercials says:

Save your mahnee!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:21 PM

Thank you reef_raf and Lost mind!

As for water changes, I've read 10% a week or 15-20% per month. Which in your experiences is better? Also I'm curently using Crystal Sea Salt, but I've read Instant Ocean is the best, or does it really &^%$ matter? is salt salt?

I must say this is the most exciting yet confusing hobby I have ever undertaken, but I sure do enjoy it!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Just a guy..

What size is your tank? I would probably do 10% every other week at a bare minimum. I try and change 20 to 25g every week on my 155g.
I, like most others, use IO salt, as there is a difference. Some people use Kent and it has a good rep also.
If you do change salt, do it slowly.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 PM

I currently have a 29G but am soon upgrading to 65G. This current setup has been my "learning" tank and it's been going fairly well for 2 1/2 years now. The 65G will be entirely different as I know a great deal more now than I did when I paid $150 for a USED 28G with two Aquaclears and an UG!
Old 07-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Just a guy..

Once you have the 65g going, I'd do 10g every week.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:51 PM

Thanks again Doug,

One more question (sorry this is the newby section right?)

If I connec a sump does that eliminate water changes or will they always be necessary?

I've been told by a couple people that a wel established reef can become self sufficient with occasional dosing and top-ups.

What's your take? Again, sorry to smother you with questions but the information at the LFS SUCKS!