Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 07-25-2004, 12:26 AM

tstevens is on a distinguished road
Default Propagation

Hi all,

I'm somewhat of a newbie, I've had a 28g FO for the last 2.5 years abd for the most part it's been running well. Lately I've added about 20lbs of Live Rock a couple Zoo's and a finger leather. I'm hoping to learn all I can about reef keeping so I can start propagating corals. The market here (Kingston, ON) SUCKS! Prices are sky hi and selection is fair on a good day ( I realized this when I visited Big Al's in Whitby).

Anyway, anyone out there who's been successfully "fragging" and actually turning trade or profit? Also what equipment are you using for your cutting tank?

Any info would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

WELCOME TO CANREEF

I never really made a profit but used to haul tubs of cuttings from my tank in Thompson to an lfs in Winnipeg, back in the late 90,s.

I always had enough leather, star polyp, yellow polyp, brown polyp, colts and other cuttings to trade for supplies or credits. I know the store use to have customers that would be waiting just for some of my frags.

Never used a frag tank. Just cut some that were to large in thetank and the rest were propagated in a bowl of water.

I had a sailfin tang that use to eat the purple mat from star polyp cuttings, from my fingers when propagating them. Liked leathers pieces also.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:44 PM

Default Propagation

Thanks Flatlander!,

That's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. I've read a fair amount about coral farming but it's entirely different to speak with someone who's been successful. Here's another question for you. I have a finger leather that I purchased about 4 days ago. So far it hasn't done much and keeps getting knocked over my Blue Damsel. How long does it normally take for these critters to adjust and attach themselves? Also when is it safe to cut from these guys? I was considering snipping one of the fingers and gluing it to one of my other small pieces of LR but I'm a bit hesitant. Any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Although you could cut it now and likely not harm it, I would wait until its more established and attached. Try attach it to a rock that removable for cutting, although I have done it in a tank. I used mono fishing line and a needle to attach my leather frags.

Cutting in ones tank, besides leaky corals, can also bring about abuse from some fish. My cinnamon clowns would ravage your hand in there. As mentioned, my sailfin use to help me propagate. In that tank I had a pair of mated yellow tail damsels. They would bite my hand everytime I was in there cutting.

My prefered method was to remove the corals to a large bowl of tank water and cut there. Have another bowl of tank water ready and put the newly attached frags & pieces of rock in there after attaching them. Always watch the water temp. & such in the bowls.

Most polyps and muchrooms can just be propagated by placing rock rubble beside them and letting them grow on such. Star polyps can also be done by getting them to grwo on glass and then just peel of slabs of purple mat by running a blade on the glass.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Propagation

Again thank you for you input Flatlander!

I will give it some time then. I'll snap some pics at some point and let you know my progres.

Thanks again!