Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM

madchild is on a distinguished road

I am also interested in a pair when they are ready!!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 AM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Mamma and papa are beauties! I need a,pair just like em
Old 09-14-2013, 03:46 PM

emeraldeyes_bc is on a distinguished road

Wow!! What gorgeous fish!! Makes me want to hunt a little harder for another tank lol
Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Careful renaming. As using two fish from a breeder still results in the name of the fish you started with.

What are you breeding to begin with?

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:26 AM

Timbits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Mamma and papa are beauties! I need a,pair just like em
Thanks! They sure are beautiful, my favorite clownfish by far!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes_bc View Post
Wow!! What gorgeous fish!! Makes me want to hunt a little harder for another tank lol
Lol dooooo it! You'll love them. How come you can't put them in your current tank?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Careful renaming. As using two fish from a breeder still results in the name of the fish you started with.

What are you breeding to begin with?
Thanks for the heads up! I think it is ok to rename your own offspring though as I've seen many other breeders do it and all the large wholesalers. ORA calls their Picasso offspring "ORA Picasso," and Sustainable Aquatics calls their Picasso offspring "SA Picasso" regardless of where they came from. I believe what you produce is your own so you can name them anything you want.

The parents are Black ice Snowflake Ocellaris clowns. When I saw the babies they produced I just thought "Astro" was a cute name and suited them.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I think it is ok to rename your own offspring though as I've seen many other breeders do it and all the large wholesalers. ORA calls their Picasso offspring "ORA Picasso," and Sustainable Aquatics calls their Picasso offspring "SA Picasso" regardless of where they came from. I believe what you produce is your own so you can name them anything you want.

The parents are Black ice Snowflake Ocellaris clowns. When I saw the babies they produced I just thought "Astro" was a cute name and suited them.

No. If you breed two SA black ice. They are still SA black ice. If you look at SA website. They even credit Another breeder for a line they have.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
No. If you breed two SA black ice. They are still SA black ice. If you look at SA website. They even credit Another breeder for a line they have.
True. Yes, they are still SA black ice because that's their lineage. But I still think you can name them anything you want as long as its not patented.

I found a quote from Matthew Carberry, President of SA - "SA hasn’t and has no plans to trademark a fish/coral name. I’m happy about this too–it makes a consistent presentation to the hobbyist/trade that makes it easier to see what you are getting. We call our fish “SA XXX” just to designate where they were bred versus another breeder working on the same morph. Use of different names for the same morph is confusing to the hobbyist.”
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Well done! Nice looking fish too!

Paddy is right though, two Black Ice make Black Ice babies. It is "proper" to keep the naming consistent, but you can add your "brand" ahead of the name. You can use "Astro" as your brand name in place of "SA" or "ORA". If these ones are "Astro Black Ice" then future fish might be "Astro Picasso" or "Astro Clarkii". That is the "proper" way to name fish so that lineage isn't lost. If you're just a hobbyist breeder, and not a producer then it really doesn't matter much though since you would just be supplying your local market.

I'm not sure what your intentions are in the future, but I would like to warn you that continually producing large numbers of "designer" fish that normally sell at high prices you will flood your market and will be forced to either sell below value and then devalue the fish in your area which just hurts the captive bred market as a whole. If you can't sell them, they will get too big and will start to kill each other. Please don't ever produce more fish than you can sell at fair market price.

Keep up the good work, and keep in mind the big picture.

SPS fanatic.