Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-13-2004, 05:07 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

As in the experience of others, my small snails came in waves.

I had some interesting hitchhiking snails. Two in particular sat in one spot for weeks on end and I am wondering if they were a rock burrowing type, as they always seemed to create holes where they sat.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 07-13-2004, 05:37 AM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why snails can't propagate and multiply in an aquarium.

In freshwater aquaria there are several different species of snail and all of them multiply rapidly, in fact a common FW problem is snails multiplying out of control.

If SW snails won't maintain self-sustaining populations in an aquarium you would have to ask why. Could the problem be not enough nutrients, lack of an essential element, a toxic water contaminant, or predation? And do people with refugia have snails propagating in them?
Old 07-13-2004, 05:52 AM

shotzee is on a distinguished road

I have a number of cerith snails in my nano, and they have laid egges at least three times that I have noticed. The trouble is that I think either my shrimp or my hungry clownfish would nibble on them because they would be continously reduced. I have noticed a few baby cerith snails though (easy to notice from there characteristic shells) on occasion so I guess a few survived.

Rory
Old 07-13-2004, 01:14 PM

Bert is on a distinguished road

I think the problem starts with the fact that freshwater snails go directly from egg->snail. Most saltwater snails have a planktonic stage thrown in there to help dispersal. We all know how well planktonic stages do in a reef tank. When someone cracks the code we'll not only have tank bred snails, but also Centropyge angelfish and all that jazz.

Bert
Old 07-13-2004, 03:40 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzee
I have noticed a few baby cerith snails though (easy to notice from there characteristic shells) on occasion so I guess a few survived.
I think making this assumption is a bit dangerous. There are thousands upon thousands of species of snail, many of which resemble one another. While what we are seeing may in fact be the young of our purchased snails, there is also the possibility that they are completely different species within seperate genera or families.

http://www.gastropods.com/Taxon_pages/Common_Names.html

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906