Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-07-2013, 04:44 AM

1986CJ7 is on a distinguished road
Default Hobbies, we all have them

...and so we migrate to different sites who manages to "educate" one in a short enough period of time that the endeavour does not end up in quite such big of a fiasco.

Wife has purses...

Besides the fish, fresh of saltwater, the dogs and the kids (yes, one can consider them a hobby to a certain extent) I have my Jeep. A 1986 CJ7, fibreglass body, still stock engine and axles but lifted and running on 35" rubber. Definitely capable, especially since out of the storage it held through the most of last year as my daily driver. All that with a couple little hiccups: alternator, battery and a couple rotten wires. Oh, and changed the brake lines, hoses and front shocks.

As is it still runs strong, but it's waiting for an overhaul and the V8 350 Chevy small block I have lined for it.

Nice to be back home, it's been quite a journey.

Last edited by 1986CJ7; 10-11-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:48 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Welcome to Canreef .. ? Do you have any close ups of your jeep? You should consider starting a build thread!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:51 AM

Evilweevil is on a distinguished road

Sweet! Lets see a pic I have two jeeps right now an 3 tj 4" lift with 33" pretty basic but has been a ton of fun and also have a new rubicon unlimited with 15000 already a dented bumper and scratches to boot lol it's awaiting a lift and some 35's maybe 37's!!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:52 AM

Evilweevil is on a distinguished road

Doh ! I see the pic now looks great !!!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

more jeep guys

Welcome to CanReef BTW

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilweevil View Post
Sweet! Lets see a pic I have two jeeps right now an 3 tj 4" lift with 33" pretty basic but has been a ton of fun and also have a new rubicon unlimited with 15000 already a dented bumper and scratches to boot lol it's awaiting a lift and some 35's maybe 37's!!

Mine has 4" lift and 3" body so I can fit 37"s. Right now it's still running on 35"s and I find it's the best mix for hwy and bush use. I don't do any extreme rock crawling, so this is more than capable, it just needs some engine work and tweaking here and there.

Also, I want to put a roll cage on it, I have 4 leather Audi bucket seats - electrical too - that I want to fit in.

Engine work, recovery needs to be done and the new Bushwacker flares installed. I am just waiting on the engine to arrive this summer: SB350 Chevy TBI paired with auto 700R4 and then the fun begins.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Welcome to Canreef .. ? Do you have any close ups of your jeep? You should consider starting a build thread!
Thanks, will do.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
more jeep guys

Welcome to CanReef BTW

Sore spot?

In all honesty I used to love Land Rovers. After being "gifted" with my old POS from my friend that didn't do much but beat the life out of it for the years he owned it I kind of developed a liking for how old, rugged and difficult to drive it is. Still has the stock engine I6, torquey engine for sure, T5 manual transmission and the trusty dana 300 tcase. I promise you this, once I dealt with the bugs of it being out of the storage after years of just summer abuse it still purrs like the day it drove off the lot. 4x4 works great, body is impeccable and since it's fibreglass the lightness of it combined with the fact that it has no rust I'd say I kind of fell in love with it and the idea of doing an overhaul.

I'm still on the fence if I should do the engine swap or just overhaul of the current setup. There are plenty of Jeeps out there that I could use my Chevy small block on. This, for sure, it's not leaving my family. My son will most likely drive it as his first car. I'll have the roll cage, bumpers, recovery, axles and powertrain fiddled and done with until then ...but I am in no rush to do it. I'll build it to last another life.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:32 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986CJ7 View Post
Sore spot?

In all honesty I used to love Land Rovers. After being "gifted" with my old POS from my friend that didn't do much but beat the life out of it for the years he owned it I kind of developed a liking for how old, rugged and difficult to drive it is. Still has the stock engine I6, torquey engine for sure, T5 manual transmission and the trusty dana 300 tcase. I promise you this, once I dealt with the bugs of it being out of the storage after years of just summer abuse it still purrs like the day it drove off the lot. 4x4 works great, body is impeccable and since it's fibreglass the lightness of it combined with the fact that it has no rust I'd say I kind of fell in love with it and the idea of doing an overhaul.

I'm still on the fence if I should do the engine swap or just overhaul of the current setup. There are plenty of Jeeps out there that I could use my Chevy small block on. This, for sure, it's not leaving my family. My son will most likely drive it as his first car. I'll have the roll cage, bumpers, recovery, axles and powertrain fiddled and done with until then ...but I am in no rush to do it. I'll build it to last another life.
No not at all!! My kid has a jeep & so does his cousin and a few friends & I was just poking at Evilweevil, Stacey is a buddy of mine & great guy.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
No not at all!! My kid has a jeep & so does his cousin and a few friends & I was just poking at Evilweevil, Stacey is a buddy of mine & great guy.
No worries, was just joking around. I like the versatility and ease of upgrades, changes and what nots.

If anyone is biased for GM/Ford I'll make sure the Jeep will get enough parts from all three to satisfy all naysayers