Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 AM

mark1187 is on a distinguished road
Default Brooklynella! HELP!

Hey all!

It appears I have brooklynella in my 40 gallon tank.. All I have in there so far in an ocellaris clown fish, a long tentacle anemone, and 5 blue legged hermit crabs.. I did have a pair of these clowns but one died. I unfortunately do not have access to a quarantine tank.

Salinity: 1.024
temp: 82.4
PH: is at 8.0
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: between 5 and 10 ppm

My questions are: What can I do to treat this, and how long will this last in my tank once treated (or once my last fish passes away)?

Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 AM

George is on a distinguished road

First you need to make sure it's really brook that you are having, not marine velvet, not marine ich because their symptoms are similar.
If you are sure it's brook, you want to get the clown fish to a QT tank ASAP because all the proven treatments for brook are deadly for invertebrates (i.e. your anemone and crabs). A 5 gallon salt buck is good enough for a clown if you don't have a QT tank set up. Need heater and airstone. Do regular water changes.
Treat brook with either copper or formalin (if you can find it). Treatment protocols should be all over the internet or on the bottle.
Leave the DT fallow (fishless) for 12 weeks.
Good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:02 AM

mark1187 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure how to determine for sure on those other diseases you've named.. I can describe the symptoms though..
the clown has "cracks" in the white stripe closest to his face and around his gills, hes hanging out at the bottom of the tank a lot typically kind of upside down, he won't eat whole lot - typically grabs food and spits it out immediately. The other one that died went completely grey on one side.. almost looked like fungus. Otherwise the fish that died displayed the same behavior as the one that is alive.