Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Cbsmith is on a distinguished road

I am also having the same issue in my tank. I thought it might be micro bubbles but I turned off my skimmer for a few days and it didn't change anything.

It looks exactly like dust. I haven't been doing anything in the house out of the ordinary so I am not sure what it is. The tank has been up and running for about 2 months and this just appeared about a week ago.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM

jjntm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbsmith View Post
I am also having the same issue in my tank. I thought it might be micro bubbles but I turned off my skimmer for a few days and it didn't change anything.

It looks exactly like dust. I haven't been doing anything in the house out of the ordinary so I am not sure what it is. The tank has been up and running for about 2 months and this just appeared about a week ago.

Could still be micro bubbles.... just means not from skimmer, could be from return pump being over rated from your tank. do you have baffles in your sump? if your return pump is over rated for your tank, the amount of water draining into your sump could be producing the bubbles and without baffles to clear the water before the return pump it will just spit em back into your tank. had similar issues with my tank.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjntm View Post
Could still be micro bubbles.... just means not from skimmer, could be from return pump being over rated from your tank. do you have baffles in your sump? if your return pump is over rated for your tank, the amount of water draining into your sump could be producing the bubbles and without baffles to clear the water before the return pump it will just spit em back into your tank. had similar issues with my tank.
I have a BioCube 29 running a stock return pump. When I first set the tank up there were micro bubbles for a few days as the skimmer broke in and then they went away. The water has been crystal clear up until last week. The stuff in the water looks like dust or debris of some sort, it is not round little bubbles, but more different shapes and sizes. I have done a water change thinking that mint help but it hasn't made a difference so far.

I had just chalked it up as part of the cycling of a new tank until I saw this post.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 AM

I think I figured out my water clarity issue. Tonight when I looked at the tank after the lights went out there were a bunch of tiny white pods stuck all over the glass, back wall, etc. they are floating in the water column as well nb sticking to the glass. I am able to watch them move around, they are about the size of a pinhead.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 AM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
or it could be calcium precipitate.......it can make your tank look like it is in a snowstorm
Usually this can be caused by too heavy a dose or dosing carbonates in conjunction or too close together.

Any possibility?

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:30 AM

fireguy98 is on a distinguished road

I don't dose anything yet
Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 PM

CpBizz is on a distinguished road

Fireguy... did you ever figure out your dust particle situation in your water column? Your explanation describes my situation bang on. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

What kind of salt are you using?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 PM

CpBizz is on a distinguished road

Avitro Salinity by Seachem.... upon further research and salt research... I'm finding some have pointed their finger in the direction of this product. Would you say the same? And if my memory serves me right it began happening after a 15% water change. I do shake the salt bucket to hopefully ensure even distribution of salts etc and follow directions and ensure proper aeration etc.
If this is the culprit, which brand of salt are most using nowadays? I'm sure there is a thread for this. I shall look and see.
Thanks for the help!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 PM

fireguy98 is on a distinguished road

It was a combination of the fiji sand and aquavitro salt. Replaced sand bed when I moved the tank all is great now

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2