Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 PM

newsaltfan is on a distinguished road
Default Which skimmer?

You need to determine what skimmer you are using first. From what I've read the NAC3.5 runs best in 8-10 inches of water. Where as the NAC6 runs best in 9.5-11 inches. So your first baffle should correspond with these dimensions.

Or build the first baffle at 11 inches and raise the skimmer if needed.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 AM

MoreDakka is on a distinguished road

Here is a good question for yall.

How do you silicone the bubble trap? 1" difference no hand can get in there to do that. I'm sorta at a loss...

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:56 AM

Also, trying to find the correct silicone as from what I'm reading GE I isn't good anymore...

Found this stuff, says aquarium safe:

Yes...I know it's white but whatever, it's a sump. I remember reading that weather shield in the green bottle from home hardware is good to go.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM

newsaltfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDakka View Post
Here is a good question for yall.

How do you silicone the bubble trap? 1" difference no hand can get in there to do that. I'm sorta at a loss...

Thanks.
Ok, you're going to have to use your imagination here for a few minutes. These items are not to scale....

Cardboard box = tank

Tea container = Spacer (equal to the width of your first camber) ice-cream pail, Tupperware container, paint can whatever works as an appropriate spacer

Book = 1st Baffle of Bubble trap (assuming you are using 3)

Stand the tank up on end, place "Tea container = Spacer", position the baffle and add silicone. My attachment pic only shows to this point.

Add another appropriate sized spacer (pucks for example) position baffle #2 add silicon. Remember to use a spacer to keep the baffle off the floor of the sump. Something small that you can get out of the bubble trap once the silicon dries.

Repeat, add more spacers on top of baffle number 2 (more pucks) position baffle #3 add silicone. Now you're thinking I’ve only added silicone to one side of each baffle? True but you will have close to equal pressure on both sides of those baffles you just need the silicone to hold them upright to force the water to the surface.

Now leave it alone for a couple days, DO NOT STAND IT UP. Let the silicone cure. If you don’t wait long enough and stand it up to soon the 2nd baffle will slump and not maintain its gap off the sump floor. I know you added spacers under baffle #2 but its not worth the chance of them moving. Trust me I’ve made that mistake and had to start from scratch...

I hope that makes sense.

Oh, and I have used that silicone, well the clear, with no issues at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Image.jpg (18.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Awesome description, thanks. I first read that on my email with no image and I'm like "someone has gone off the deep end" @_o .

That's a great way to do it, rather than trying to level it all out.