Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

my 4 gallon pico in my signature is the easiest tank I've ever had to care for. 100% water changes, no sand, no fish.

I ignored it for 3 weeks because I got busy with school and the glass got so covered in algae I couldn't see inside. When I finally did a water change I just took the rock and corals out, put them in a bucket, and scrubbed down the tank in the sink until the whole thing looked brand new again. 24 hours later and it's pristine again. It's more like a piece of modern art than a tank though, I would never put fish in it the way I maintain it.

my big tank is 'easy' to maintain in that all the grunt work has largely been automated, but it's still a tremendous PITA in terms of time and money. When something does go wrong, or it needs extra attention, it's easily half a day's worth of work that I could probably spend on something more productive. Also, it goes through $100/month just in salt, so... there's that.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM

gerryo is on a distinguished road

I agree with mrhasan's statement, "a smaller tank, with proper maintenance, is much better than a big tank with no care."

I have a 28g Nano and a 54g Corner, and maintenance takes 15 minutes on the 28 and 2 hours on the 54.

I have 1 Clown in the 54 and no fish in the 28. I will be putting a pair of Clowns in the 28 real soon.

I also have a very efficient skimmer on the 54 (Tunze 9410) and an even better one on the 28 (Reef Octopus 1000).

Gerry
Old 06-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Razor is on a distinguished road

A larger tank is much more stable.
3 - Fluval E300 heaters
Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
A larger tank is much more stable.
Wrong.

A larger tank is "easier" is to keep stable. It won't be stable automatically. Smaller tanks are just "harder" to keep stable. A properly cared small tank will be much more stable than a "i just need a bigger tank to keep it stable miraculously" big tank. Infact, I am pretty sure bigger tanks are prone to more crashes more than smaller tanks.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM

deepRED is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Wrong.

A larger tank is "easier" is to keep stable. It won't be stable automatically. Smaller tanks are just "harder" to keep stable. A properly cared small tank will be much more stable than a "i just need a bigger tank to keep it stable miraculously" big tank. Infact, I am pretty sure bigger tanks are prone to more crashes more than smaller tanks.
Changes happen slower with more water volume, it's not rocket science. In a small tank, you'll notice problems quicker, whereas in a larger tank, you may not notice the problem until it builds up.
Saying bigger tanks are more prone to crashes is false. If both tanks are properly maintained, the larger tank will always be more stable.
It's that in larger tanks, people think things are ok, just because they don't see drastic changes.
That's why regular maintenance is crucial, whether your tank is big or small.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepRED View Post
Changes happen slower with more water volume, it's not rocket science. In a small tank, you'll notice problems quicker, whereas in a larger tank, you may not notice the problem until it builds up.

Ofcourse its not rocket science Or else why did I write "easier" to maintain? Bigger tanks are never easier other than the fact that it has more volume of water and hence need a lesser reflex from the owner to correct what's wrong.

Saying bigger tanks are more prone to crashes is false. If both tanks are properly maintained, the larger tank will always be more stable.

You have answers this part of the statement by yourself "It's that in larger tanks, people think things are OK". That's where the problem is. Everyone keeps on telling "bigger the better" but little do they say things "CAN" terribly go wrong with bigger systems too and they also need maintenance (with more amount of water). How many times have you seen smaller tanks with "all dead over night" than a bigger tank? Algae problem = smaller tank. Crash = bigger tank. Some searches will reveal that

It's that in larger tanks, people think things are ok, just because they don't see drastic changes.
That's why regular maintenance is crucial, whether your tank is big or small.
Replies in quote

Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM

magikof7 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to magikof7

You are going to get about an equal amount of for and against bigger vs smaller tanks.
It also depends on what you want a reef or a Fish only.

After a year with my 29 biocube (reef) I can tell yo, it was perfect for learning the ropes with. I was even able to add a gravity return Refugium when many said it wouldn't work.

Now after about a year I am starting to see the big problems with Nutrients, Algea and water chemistry. My Pumps are failing because I can not put a bigger one that will fit in the back chamber. I have gone through a few now. The debris and stuff I blow off my rocks is considerable so I know there is a problem with the water circulation ( I can't run big enough pumps). I can't get enough poweheads in there without blasting corals.

I can't keep a lot of my favorite corals because there is just not enough space. I can add a reactor with GFO and drill the tank to add a sump and a better skimmer but Why? when I can spend a little more and do an upgrade so I can keep the fish and corals I want.

If you are looking for a challenge or something to learn with then a smaller tank is the perfect thing for you. It gave me about a year to learn and discover if I wanted to continue with the Hobby before spending a large amount of money on a larger tank.
There is something rather satisfying in being able to do what some say can't be done and watching it all grow.

Honestly I think, it all comes down to research on what you like and don't like and knowing yourself enough to be able to be honest with yourself on weather or not you are able or willing to put in the time and effort and come through the crashes ("heaven" forbid) and dealing with the frustration of running any size tank.

I am now Upgrading to a 60 gal. (Most likely in a year it will be even Bigger lol it's the way of the Hobby I am afraid)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 PM

chi is on a distinguished road

I want to do a zoa only tank with my nano. Probably get the whole thing covered in space monsters palys. Will probably look pretty cool. Got the idea from the dendro only tank at the vanc aquarium. Small confined space but visually stunning.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 PM

deepRED is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Replies in quote
I wasn't asking any questions, I was mainly stating facts.

I completely agree with you, large tanks give the hobbyist a false sense of security, and many use that as an excuse to let things slide before its too late.

But if you are educated and experienced in what you are doing, a larger tank is always more stable, I can't see how you can argue that. It may be harder to maintain in terms of sheer volume of water changes etc... But it will always be more stable given equal maintenance routines.

I see what you're trying to say, and it's a bit of a chicken and the egg argument, because we all know what should be done and what people actually do is different.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepRED View Post
I wasn't asking any questions, I was mainly stating facts.

I completely agree with you, large tanks give the hobbyist a false sense of security, and many use that as an excuse to let things slide before its too late.

But if you are educated and experienced in what you are doing, a larger tank is always more stable, I can't see how you can argue that. It may be harder to maintain in terms of sheer volume of water changes etc... But it will always be more stable given equal maintenance routines.

I see what you're trying to say, and it's a bit of a chicken and the egg argument, because we all know what should be done and what people actually do is different.
I wasn't "answering". I was just "replying"

Anyway, I am not arguing about the stability. I have already written bigger tanks are "easier" to keep stable. And like you have said, the false sense of security of the famous quote "bigger is better" ( ) is something that cause problem. In the end, a well maintained tank is what matters, whether its big or small. You have time, money and dedication: go for a bigger tank. You have time and dedication: go for a small tank.

And regarding maintenance, in my previous 20 gallon, I would do 10gallon WC weekly and that wc had more impact on the overall health of the system than a 10 gallon weekly water change on my current 70 gallon system. Pro: I don't have to worry about pinpointing every parameter. Con: if things go wrong, that means pulling more buckets of water around.

And bigger tank brings more headache and I am pretty sure many will agree to that