Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I heard about peppermint eating pods, not sure if they eat the large ones? You think peppermint will eat clams?

I surely don't want to replace a problem with another problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Peppermints are active at night and they will devour any pods they find. They probably eat clams too for all I know. Damn this hobby!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
I heard about peppermint eating pods, not sure if they eat the large ones? You think peppermint will eat clams?

I surely don't want to replace a problem with another problem.
I've got no clams I can't help you there. I'm pretty sure there's been a case of everything we keep trying to eat everything else in someone's tank at some point. I'm sure I read about peppermints eating zoas etc. Mine appear to be behaved...
Old 03-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

I keep clams and never had problem with any shrimp. Bloods, peps etc

My blood will sit atop the clams when feeding time
Old 03-14-2013, 04:18 PM
91Atrac

I've found pods crawling and hiding under my maxi mini nem if this matters
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I never realized this could be a problem, there's millions of those guys in my tank, though in all fairness I haven't looked closely at my clam in about 3 months.

The only fish that I know of that actively hunts these critters at night is a copper band, would you ever consider getting another? Why did you let go of the first one? Mine never stops hunting and I still have a noticeable population of them though, so even with a Copper Band you're not going to eradicate them, just reduce their numbers.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

FME peppermints wont bother clams.

I would suspect there are lots of different species of amphipods, each with their own dietary preferences. Animals tend to prefer the easiest sources of food. Perhaps feeding meaty foods would distract the pods from the clams by providing an easier source of food. Then if you added a pod predator to reduce their population density during the day it might solve the problem.

You said that the problem started after you lost the copperband so it must have been keeping the pod population in check during the day.

If you don't want to go the wrasse method you could always try an Orchid Dottyback, Mandarin Goby, Rainford's or Hectors Goby etc.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Problem is, I just got rid of a copperband that I had for 2 years because he started nipping at my clams. So I won't get another one no as it was very hard decision to sell him after 2 years.

But yes he did a great job at keeping those pests at bay.

Copperband don't sleep and hunt all night long, so yes he was hunting them while they were out at night and I could bearely see any of them day or night. Since the copperband has left, about 2 months now, they are thrive.

Orchids dottyback are the nastiest little bastard I have ever owned. Never ever again, plus they sleep at night. I have two mandarins in the tank and they sleep at night, plus they don't eat those big amphipods, only copepods. all wrasses do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdown View Post
I never realized this could be a problem, there's millions of those guys in my tank, though in all fairness I haven't looked closely at my clam in about 3 months.

The only fish that I know of that actively hunts these critters at night is a copper band, would you ever consider getting another? Why did you let go of the first one? Mine never stops hunting and I still have a noticeable population of them though, so even with a Copper Band you're not going to eradicate them, just reduce their numbers.

Last edited by daniella3d; 03-14-2013 at 08:46 PM.