Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Cubeman is on a distinguished road
Default Zoanthid care

In the past I have added zoas to my sps/lps tanks and they have usually withered away to nothing, although I will admit I didn't give them any specific care. The sps grew fantastically though in the same tanks. I have now started a nano tank and would like to add some zoas.

Can anyone provide me with their proven zoa care routine so I get off on the right foot and have more success. I am not a newbie and had my first saltwater tank in the late 70's so don't need 'aquarium basics' advice - looking more for placement, feeding, current, lighting etc...and anything I should avoid adding that would eat/damage them.

thanks in advance
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 PM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

I have almost the exact opposite luck. My SPS corals die and zoas flourish all over their dead skeletons within a few days!

I would think that if you have good success with SPS that you may have too much light or flow for zoas or maybe not enough food or nutrients.

Mine seem to prefer being on the sand without direct flow and with plenty if food to grab daily.

Denny or Levi should chime in and school us all on the zoa tricks.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Banned

denny_CC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubeman View Post
In the past I have added zoas to my sps/lps tanks and they have usually withered away to nothing, although I will admit I didn't give them any specific care. The sps grew fantastically though in the same tanks. I have now started a nano tank and would like to add some zoas.

Can anyone provide me with their proven zoa care routine so I get off on the right foot and have more success. I am not a newbie and had my first saltwater tank in the late 70's so don't need 'aquarium basics' advice - looking more for placement, feeding, current, lighting etc...and anything I should avoid adding that would eat/damage them.

thanks in advance

not a whole lot of advice to offer but what you may already know , low phos and steady parameters.

light acclimation is very important.

reefsafe fish...ie: no angels or tangs lol

dip all new pieces or qt

keep guard dogs( wrasses,mandarins etc.)

blue spectrum does better(imo)

other than that its a wide variety of species , some do well and some dont.

unlike diamonds............zoas are not forever
Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

denny_CC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubeman View Post

thanks in advance

the thing about sps tanks is powerfull light, low nutrients and strong flow.....for zoos youll need to dull it down a bit

your nano should do just fine.

zoos are better if its a species only tank
Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

^^^^ Don't think I could of put it better myself. Only thing I would add is that these animals will do much better when fed a small particle food 1-2 times per week.

(Reef roids, Fauna Marine, Acan +, Frozen Cyclopeez for some of the larger morphs...)

Have a read through, I detail some zoa tips in the write up here.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Zoas are possibly the funniest coral in this hobby. Like the gurus already said, there's just too many variables when it comes to zoas; different zoa different stuffs, particularly the nicer ones.

Previously my tank was having good success with zoas and bad with SPS and the thing just turned around in the last two months. I think trouble shooting all other corals are possible to some extend but with zoas....oh well Denny and Levy would be the better people to comment on that :P

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

That's the ting exactly. They are very sensitive to any chimical emitted by other corals and also anemones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny@conceptaquatics View Post

zoos are better if its a species only tank
Old 03-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Cubeman is on a distinguished road

Some great stuff there guys and gals - thanks very much for taking the time.