Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Water changes are always a good idea. After the water change make sure the Magnesium is 3 times the Calcium. If the Mag is less than 3x Calcium you run the risk of Calcium build ups on the pump magnets, heaters and even the tank glass.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

That's actually a test kit I do not have. Good call on that I should probably grab one.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

I generally give a couple of days to determine if a coral is actually stressed. I have a plate that looks like it's ready to die a few times per month, then bounces back within the next couple of days.

Like Subman said, your calcium and alk are balanced. If your dosing, step it back a notch or two and find the right quantity for your tank.

Nitrate and Phosphate at 0 looks good on paper, but from my understanding when using Biopellets or Zeovit you should have a traceable amount. I've used every kit on the market and found Elos to be the most accurate for a low nutrient tank.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM

Yeah I agree that the API kits are nowhere near the best going. I just have a very ritualistic approach to my maintenance/feelings and have never had any issues with any of the main 4 (trates, trites, ammo, Phos) so I've never put much effort into precise monitoring. And since I saw your tank Wayne I have stepped up my water changes a little.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:50 PM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Yeah I agree that the API kits are nowhere near the best going. I just have a very ritualistic approach to my maintenance/feelings and have never had any issues with any of the main 4 (trates, trites, ammo, Phos) so I've never put much effort into precise monitoring. And since I saw your tank Wayne I have stepped up my water changes a little.
Good to hear! (and thanks! ) I believe your on the right track. I'd bet that it'll be fine... TimT has a good point about mag, I found the red sea kit the easiest for testing mag.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM

I just remembered that the equipment I'm selling for my buddy Allan ha a red sea pro mag test kit in it. SOLD lol