Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Its great to see you active again. Mine costs about $2000 a year and that factors in everything from power consumption to salt. So $167 a month for a 240gal system but as you know I offset that cost by selling coral frags.

If you do decide to setup again I've still got your old purple firefish and tailspot blenny.

If you remember Karen, she is trying to sell her complete 200gal system for about $2000 I think... she has a buyer lined up but its been 4 months and the tank is still sitting in her house.

I'm also going to start calling around to see if we can do a Tank Tour over the next three months. So that might be another opportunity for you to learn some new tricks.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Mine costs about $2000 a year and that factors in everything from power consumption to salt. So $167 a month for a 240gal system
Wow!! I have'nt even tried figuring mine out. No smart meter yet? My smart meter was installed at the same time I switched over to LEDs and my bill went up. Should be called scam meter instead. I now have Shauns system set up in my basement so thats not helping my bills either. Karen has plans on putting her system in my basement as well until this year long sale of her tank goes through. That one I think i'm gonna have to say no to.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread. I try not to think about what my systems cost, ignorance is bliss but it's good information regardless!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Its great to see you active again. Mine costs about $2000 a year and that factors in everything from power consumption to salt. So $167 a month for a 240gal system but as you know I offset that cost by selling coral frags.

If you do decide to setup again I've still got your old purple firefish and tailspot blenny.

If you remember Karen, she is trying to sell her complete 200gal system for about $2000 I think... she has a buyer lined up but its been 4 months and the tank is still sitting in her house.

I'm also going to start calling around to see if we can do a Tank Tour over the next three months. So that might be another opportunity for you to learn some new tricks.
Hey, hows your tank doing? Havent seen too much activity from you since i started peruzing. Tank tour sounds great. I keep getting lost trying to find the tank whenever im near unbc. Sad i know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Wow!! I have'nt even tried figuring mine out. No smart meter yet? My smart meter was installed at the same time I switched over to LEDs and my bill went up. Should be called scam meter instead. I now have Shauns system set up in my basement so thats not helping my bills either. Karen has plans on putting her system in my basement as well until this year long sale of her tank goes through. That one I think i'm gonna have to say no to.
Wow. You get that much water in your house and you will be able to drink the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
This is a great thread. I try not to think about what my systems cost, ignorance is bliss but it's good information regardless!
I think its helped already. Every time you think youve thought of everything some one asks if youve factored in your ro filters and crap. Its a good realistic idea for people so they dont jump in too deep too fast ( my problem last time, had a 300gal system in my basement, water mixing tanks, ro tank, 250 gal freshwater fish tank, dehumidifier pulling 10gal a day, electricity bill was $250 for one month of that. )

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zum14 View Post
Hey, hows your tank doing? Havent seen too much activity from you since i started peruzing. Tank tour sounds great. I keep getting lost trying to find the tank whenever im near unbc. Sad i know...
My tank doesn't change very much from month to month anymore. It went through a little bit of a rough patch around 2011 where I lost all of my clams and several of my coral bleached then receded. But I've got it all under control again.

Lately I've become a bit exasperated with the usual discussions on these forums. 'what skimmer should I buy?', 'how do I get rid of hair algae?', 'which supplements do I need?'... etc. Use the search engine folks. Your questions have already been asked and answered a hundred times before. But if someone local asks a question I'll usually throw my two cents in.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 PM

Well just got our Hydro bill on monday. Since I put buddies tank in my basement my bill has rose from $250 to $400. Said tank is just a 70G with a heater, 4 96W T5s for 6hrs a day and 2 MP40s and a cannister filter. She says it's gotta come down. I think she's gonna win this one.It really sucks as his rocks have finally been clea of hair algae and starting to purple up nice. PlusI have'nt anywheres to put his black clowns.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
Well just got our Hydro bill on monday. Since I put buddies tank in my basement my bill has rose from $250 to $400. Said tank is just a 70G with a heater, 4 96W T5s for 6hrs a day and 2 MP40s and a cannister filter. She says it's gotta come down. I think she's gonna win this one.It really sucks as his rocks have finally been clea of hair algae and starting to purple up nice. PlusI have'nt anywheres to put his black clowns.
Jeeze i hope thats 2 months worth. Wow.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 AM

Oops I was wrong. Wife corrected me. Bill went from $213 to $450. And thats for 2 months

Tags
costs, monthly, upkeep