Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 AM

slats35 is on a distinguished road
Default Crash.

I put water in it last Tuesday 4-5 pm. And changed the water 5-6 times. Leaving water in it over night. Then I put it into use on Friday night around 7. Or so. I also plumbed a new reactor as well. With GFO in it. That is the only change that was done besides the new sump!! By the way all the fish made it except 2. I have my skimmer and 3 small bags of carbon going. Hoping to get it to clear up and remove any contaminants. I have done 2 water changes. 15 gallons a peice. I have a 120 gallon tank. Don't want to take too much out with the fish recovering.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 AM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

How long did the silicone cure for?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 AM

Default Crash.

Trying to give as much information as I can. Want to hear some different ideas. I also came home that nite and when I saw that fish all fu..ed up I treated with herbtana and put a five gallon pail of fresh new water with prime and stability in it. I'm thinking maybe too many chemicals at once? And the only reason I put herbtana was because the fish was showing same symptoms as the last time my tank crashed. ( a long time ago). It was ich then and I think I may have over done it and panicked.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 AM

Default Crash.

Like I said I put water in it so the silicone if it needed to leech anything it would do it in the water. That was for 3 days. It sat dry for 1day before
Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 AM

scubadawg is on a distinguished road

Needs min of 48 hours to cure
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Herbatana can kill fish for sure. One person in the reefaction forum recently lost most of her fish to this treatment. It is removing oxygen from the water so proper aeration is very very important.

Plus it is a treatement that is not efficient so no point using it. There is no reef safe treatement that will be efficiently killing parasites.

Be very carefull with Prime and using medication because Prime can bind with some med. Prime remove oxygen from the water at high temperature and herbatana as well. There is not a lot of oxygen in 5 gallons of water, even without med.

For exemple, you cannot use Cupramine with Prime as it will bind with the amine in Cupramine and will release copper into a toxic form.

Last edited by daniella3d; 01-07-2013 at 03:41 PM.