Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-03-2013, 04:47 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

All web searching point to lighting and trace element supplements. If you do regular water changes, most trace elements are in good salt mixes. I would think that with supplements/water changes in combination with a good light since August, you should have noticed some results.

Maybe others have ideas or experience specific to this coral?

I've had some bleaching with sps and acans, but that's due to my own dumb*** fault at putting them too close to a bright light, too soon upon introduction. Bleaching is obviously not what we're dealing with here.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM

ocean diver is on a distinguished road

I switched to led in august, I am not sure what caused the problem with the tank but I lost about 6 corals, and that is when the brain lost its color. It still has color but not as bright as it once was.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

could it be bleaching from lighting installation?

I bleached an Acan back in the summer, bought the frag and put it too high in the tank. Basically, the coral was used to a low lighting intensity at the shop. What that means is that the coral regulates the density of zooxanthellae within its tissues, so the lower the light, the more zooxanthellae it needs for a steady output of sugars from photosynthesis. If lighting intensity suddenly increased, such as when I bought it, put it in my bright tank too high on the rocks (near the light), the zooxanthellae is way too high in density within the coral tissue. Not exactly sure why this irritates the corals, but it does. The balance of reciprocal exchange is out of whack. Coral provides nitrogenous wastes and carbon dioxide to zooxanthellae, and zooxanthellae provides sugars and oxygen to coral. Oxygen in high concentration can be toxic to some things. Whatever irritates the coral, the coral drastically adjusts by spitting out its zooxanthellae and deflating its tissues to minimize light exposure. I have killed Blastomusa this way. It's been since the summer for the Acan and the piece is finally regaining some colour after months of being in a shaded area.

Maybe you bleached some corals with the drastic increase in lighting, some corals died while this brain is on a slow recovery?