Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-09-2004, 06:59 PM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

I just noticed the aqua clear.Are you using the foam,or is it empty and just used for water flow?The foam may be the culprit,it will trap food and detritus causing higher nutrients.
Greg
Old 05-09-2004, 08:38 PM

molybdenumman is on a distinguished road

I have the foam in right now. I'll take it out and see if that helps.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:47 PM

DEAD_BY_DAWN is on a distinguished road
Default .

Hi if your tank is checking out okyou might want to try this,what i did when i had a small problem was remove the lr like you did scrub it down with water from a water change,then rince with new made up water place back in the tank,then add a bunch of blue legg hermits and snails, go slow when putting the snails in the tank,this cleared up my problem and i havent had a speck on hair in four months
Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 AM

Cap'n is on a distinguished road

Watch your water quality and boost your clean-up crew. Add more snails and hermits. I also use a long-spined urchin and an emerald crab. They all have there merits and misgivings, you have to find what works for you. With the right balance of janitors the algae will disappear.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:30 AM

EmptyMind is on a distinguished road

I had my tank TOTALLY covered in hair algea.. long stringy stuff.. looked like a forest instead of a reef tank..

I tried snails.. LOTS of snails.. turbo, margerita, astrea, couple trochus.. they found their patches that they ate.. and kept clean.. but didn't really make any progress..

hermit crabs.. blue leggeed hermits, zebra hermits.. even got an emerald crab.. all seemed to be eating at the buffet.. but no real progress..

Bought a yellow tang.. man do they eat alot.. but still.. not enuf.. got the lawnmower blenny.. he tore up more than he ate i think.. but he did eat.. hehe..

got a diadema urchin.. he did some good work too.. (man i have alot of herbivores)

overall.. even with all the critters in there.. i still had algea up to my armpits..

Myself and lostmind took a pair of toothbrushes and a combiniation of scrubbing the smaller rocks oin a bucket and scrubbing the larger one IN the tank..

week later.. algea...

SO.. we went for round 2.. and scrubbed it AGAIN.. and THEN keeping the lights out except for about 2 hours a day for 2 weeks...

perfection.. and its been great ever since. (cept the battle with nasty dino's, also fixed by lowering the lighting cycle away from 12 hours to 6 on 18 off) i must have spent like 300+$ on snails at JL.. oi..

my tank was 90Gallon, red sea berlin skimmer, RO/DI, 2x400W MH 10,000K Ushios + 2x96W PC actinic. all the readings on the tests were exactly where they were supposed to be.. The lights were on 12 hours on/off whcih is i think what really contributed to my outbreak.. lowering the lighting cycle to stop the algea from growing back and let the critters get a good foothold I think was why it worked for me..
Old 05-15-2004, 01:34 AM

Namscam is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Namscam Send a message via MSN to Namscam Send a message via Yahoo to Namscam

what bout a sea hare. they should do the trick
Old 05-15-2004, 04:52 AM

jensen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jensen

Try Seahare. They the best hair algae eater. How many depends on what size of tank you have. I guarantee you it will be gone in few days.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:54 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen
Try Seahare. They the best hair algae eater. How many depends on what size of tank you have. I guarantee you it will be gone in few days.
Yes but keep in mind that so will the sea hare if all the algae (FOOD) dissapears.
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 05-15-2004, 12:36 PM

jensen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen
Yes but keep in mind that so will the sea hare if all the algae (FOOD) dissapears.
This is so true....