Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefgoat View Post
From what I understand Mandarins graze pretty much constantly. What you consider a lot will probably be mostly gone in the first week. If you want to have one you will probably need to culture pods in other containers and add them to the tank or it will slowly starve to death. Make sure to get Tisbe copepods as opposed to Tigriopus (Tigger) pods.

As an alternative you could get an ORA captive bred target Mandarin. They raise them to eat pellets and frozen food.
Thanks

I am actually going to try to train it at first and if not, I will keep on adding pods manually, depending on the need. Now I need to find pod :P

BTW any specific reason you are not suggesting tigger pods? Because online, I found people use tigger pods since that's more likely to be available.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 AM

Reefgoat is on a distinguished road

From what I understand Tisbe pods are Benthic and hide a lot so they aren't all immediately eaten. Tigger pods are primarily Pelagic and don't tend to hide. They will swim in the open and quickly be eaten by all your fish. Tisbe pods are a little more difficult to culture as they are tolerant of a relatively narrow range of temperature, salinity, and water quality whereas Tigger pods are much more hardy. Also this is not from personal experience, I have just been reading up on it as I have been planning to get a Mandarin for quite some time and want to be prepared.

I remember seeing a sponsor in Edmonton or Calgary who sells cultures of various live foods. If you do a search in the forums you could probably find it. I think it was Calgary.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Kevany is on a distinguished road

Mrhasan, last time I was at Blue World Edmonton they had copepods, and I'm pretty sure he ships as well. When I first got my mandarin I was worried about the pod population in my tank as well, so I bought a white worm culture from Blue World to suppliment feeding, and my mandarin loved them. What I did, is throw a few white worms in my tank along with a pinch of NLS pellets, and now after a few months my mandarin is trained to eat pellets as well.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevany View Post
Mrhasan, last time I was at Blue World Edmonton they had copepods, and I'm pretty sure he ships as well. When I first got my mandarin I was worried about the pod population in my tank as well, so I bought a white worm culture from Blue World to suppliment feeding, and my mandarin loved them. What I did, is throw a few white worms in my tank along with a pinch of NLS pellets, and now after a few months my mandarin is trained to eat pellets as well.
Awesome. Thanks for the positive heads up

Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 PM

regent2009 is on a distinguished road

sure thing i have my big n strong mandarin for over 2 yrs it eats NLS pellet too. buy the one with a blue tang label. altho mine eats all NLS now.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM

jagermaier is on a distinguished road

Golds usually have live tigger pods for sale, just make sure you check that they are still swimming around before you buy them.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regent2009 View Post
sure thing i have my big n strong mandarin for over 2 yrs it eats NLS pellet too. buy the one with a blue tang label. altho mine eats all NLS now.
Thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Golds usually have live tigger pods for sale, just make sure you check that they are still swimming around before you buy them.
Thanks I will sure check that out. Any idea how long one bottle is going to last for my 20 gallon?

Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Yap well aware of that. As many would say, my tank is too small for mandarine. But I would love to take up this challenge and ofcourse I have back up plans if I can't keep up with it (which I am 90% confident that I won't). But this hobby is all about challenges Like you successfully used, what most would say, "snake oil" to cure ich.

Oh I totally forgot about the goby family thing :| But I really don't like YWG since they are just, STILLLLLLLLLLL! Even my banggai and firefish move around the whole tank :P Weird :P
Please save yourself the trouble and learn from other peoples mistakes, you have identified that this tank is too small & it contains goby predators.

Although I agree this hobby is about challenges and learning, its also about trying to be as environmentally responsible as possible. Put yourself in the Mandarines shoes, would you enjoy being put in an overly small tank with a lack of food and things that could kill you @ every turn?

I think not... But alas I have a feeling this fish will be added to your tank regardless.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 PM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post
Please save yourself the trouble and learn from other peoples mistakes, you have identified that this tank is too small & it contains goby predators.

Although I agree this hobby is about challenges and learning, its also about trying to be as environmentally responsible as possible. Put yourself in the Mandarines shoes, would you enjoy being put in an overly small tank with a lack of food and things that could kill you @ every turn?

I think not... But alas I have a feeling this fish will be added to your tank regardless.
+1
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoaelite View Post

+1.

I, in no way, will disagree or argue with what you said.