Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM

jords is on a distinguished road

Haha! I'll be sure to hit you up before I leave then. However, I hope to have this tank set up before then (half the fun of vacation is going to other stores and meeting locals/swapping, etc).
Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jords View Post
Going to be building my new tank from the ground-up (starting with nothing but glass)
I would suggest picking up some silicone as well. That or I suppose duct tape works too..

Old 11-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the tip! I was planning on some good old silicone. Any actual difference between black or clear, other than cosmetics?
It's funny because my fiance says I shouldn't build my own tank. All because when we were at the LFS and said I was planning to, the worker said it's definitely not a good idea. Little does she not realize that the store only wanted to make a sale (that's why the store said they can custom make any tank I want).
Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks for the tip! I was planning on some good old silicone. Any actual difference between black or clear, other than cosmetics?
It's funny because my fiance says I shouldn't build my own tank. All because when we were at the LFS and said I was planning to, the worker said it's definitely not a good idea. Little does she not realize that the store only wanted to make a sale (that's why the store said they can custom make any tank I want).
Make sure you get an aquarium safe silicone such as GE 1200. Do not use GE I or II, they both say 100% silicone but contain mildew inhibators. I have a 65g sump on my tank which is only about a 75g cubish size. I like the extra capacity because my ATO can screw up and empty it's entire contents into the sump and at the same time the power can go off and my DT can overflow into the sump and I'll still not have water end up on my floor. The new house has a finished basement and the wife would never forgive me if I flooded the basement (again).
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Make sure you get an aquarium safe silicone such as GE 1200. Do not use GE I or II, they both say 100% silicone but contain mildew inhibators. I have a 65g sump on my tank which is only about a 75g cubish size. I like the extra capacity because my ATO can screw up and empty it's entire contents into the sump and at the same time the power can go off and my DT can overflow into the sump and I'll still not have water end up on my floor. The new house has a finished basement and the wife would never forgive me if I flooded the basement (again).

That's good! Yeah, I like the look of the black silicone over the clear. What kind of ATO are you using?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's good! Yeah, I like the look of the black silicone over the clear. What kind of ATO are you using?
Tunze
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

For my sump on the 165g display, I picked up a cracked 90g wide (4' x 2' x 18"), paid $30 and another $20 to get a small piece of window glass cut to size for a patch and two baffles and siliconed the patch over the crack and the baffles in place.

$40 investment and now have a very useful 90g wide sump. 90g wides are kinda rare, which is why I bought this cracked one. Sold my 75g tall that wouldn't fit properly into the stand for $80 so that worked out well.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

[quote=jords;762286]
quote]

nope , just make sure you use construction adhesive if you are building and not a sealant, most stuff the lfs carries is sealant and not meant for building but meant for re-sealing
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
nope , just make sure you use construction adhesive if you are building and not a sealant, most stuff the lfs carries is sealant and not meant for building but meant for re-sealing
Thanks for the tip! Wouldn't want this thing to fall apart on me! Now I'm just trying to figure out exactly the sizes of the glass I'll need (stupid me forgot that the sides have to be shorter to make it all fit together!). I pm'd you regarding tank building, btw. It'd be great if you could help me out (I seriously have almost no idea what I'm doing)