Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Although, here's a shot of my old tank using IO salt. Or maybe it was Kent salt....

Old 09-15-2012, 03:19 PM

ZOOCRAZY is on a distinguished road

Nice tanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Sure, this is what your tank will be like with Reefers Best salt. Not the latest pic, stuff has grown a bit since this shot..

Very nice!

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 09-15-2012, 03:42 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I find the salt mixes consistent, and when I test, the numbers are always the same. I don't have to roll it even
What are those numbers anyway?
And, you think it would be easy to roll a square box!
R.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.ald View Post
What are those numbers anyway?
And, you think it would be easy to roll a square box!
R.
I get 400ppm Ca, 7.0 dKh, and Mg at 1250ppm @ 1.026

It's my opinion that the whole rolling buckets story is just silly It's also my opinion that people lose way too much sleep over these numbers...

Compare the pics above. 1 tank with Reefers best, the other with bargain salt (IO or Kent, don't recall, but both about the same). The old tank had greater growth rates than my new tank (until recently). I've decided this is temp related. Old tank ran about 82F or higher. Amazing growth, not so amazing color. New tank ran at 75F, amazing color, not so much growth. Just raised new tank to 79F, and I've got a lot more growth with no loss of color.
Between the two tanks, everything was pretty much the same. Same lights, same flow, some power head placement, same Ca reactor, same skimmer model. Same feeding schedule, comparable fish load. Old tank had more rock and sand, which didn't help color (nutrient build up was too high). One tank used IO, the other Reefers Best.
The only real single advantage, for me, is that I don't have to boost my new water to match my tank, forcing my reactor to catch up. The new water is close enough out of the bag. You're not going to get better growth, or more color, or anything else using one salt over the other. Most of the top (read popular) salts these days are fine. It's a matter of convenience. I don't have to muck around with mine as much as I would if I used IO.
I tried a different salt once, it mixed cloudy and annoyed the crap out of my corals, but maybe just too much of a change. Or not. Who knows. I think pick a salt you like and are comfortable paying for, stick with it, learn how to manage it's levels for your tank, and be done with it. Or like Dez, use a different salt every time something is on sale, and still get amazing results
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I get 400ppm Ca, 7.0 dKh, and Mg at 1250ppm @ 1.026

It's my opinion that the whole rolling buckets story is just silly It's also my opinion that people lose way too much sleep over these numbers...

Compare the pics above. 1 tank with Reefers best, the other with bargain salt (IO or Kent, don't recall, but both about the same). The old tank had greater growth rates than my new tank (until recently). I've decided this is temp related. Old tank ran about 82F or higher. Amazing growth, not so amazing color. New tank ran at 75F, amazing color, not so much growth. Just raised new tank to 79F, and I've got a lot more growth with no loss of color.
Between the two tanks, everything was pretty much the same. Same lights, same flow, some power head placement, same Ca reactor, same skimmer model. Same feeding schedule, comparable fish load. Old tank had more rock and sand, which didn't help color (nutrient build up was too high). One tank used IO, the other Reefers Best.
The only real single advantage, for me, is that I don't have to boost my new water to match my tank, forcing my reactor to catch up. The new water is close enough out of the bag. You're not going to get better growth, or more color, or anything else using one salt over the other. Most of the top (read popular) salts these days are fine. It's a matter of convenience. I don't have to muck around with mine as much as I would if I used IO.
I tried a different salt once, it mixed cloudy and annoyed the crap out of my corals, but maybe just too much of a change. Or not. Who knows. I think pick a salt you like and are comfortable paying for, stick with it, learn how to manage it's levels for your tank, and be done with it. Or like Dez, use a different salt every time something is on sale, and still get amazing results
I totally agree, I started with IO and have good success. I think too much messing can give you more grief in your reef so I just do my water changes monitor my levels and keep them on track and it seems to work for me. I plan on doing it the same way in my new 90.