Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
DON'T run 'em at 100% to start...... I think your corals will adjust better starting at 30-40% and then going up. I've blacked out my full sps tank for 5 days before with no effect on the corals. Leds look dimmer to the eye, but for some reason, it's super easy to bleach the sps not even full power.

Consider DIY as opposed to another 2 SOL units. That way you won't get spotlighting. That's what I did and I'm loving it and think I got the best of both worlds.
Dez, I don't seem to get much spotlighting now, certainly opposed to one of my reflectors I was running.
But seriously, 30% ?? That's almost off. Honest, the tank is really dark, and so far the corals appear fine. Actually, more PE during full day. My LPS are not as full, so I can tell for them, they are not getting what they were used to.

For those that did burn corals, how long did it take to notice anything?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:32 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Mine bleached in a day, like you I thought things were on the low end for light and figured I could adjust if needed before things went south. Not the case for me but I'll admit I had other issues at the time that probably played a role. Most my LPS however did fine, lost color but they came back with time.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 AM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
But seriously, 30% ?? That's almost off. Honest, the tank is really dark, and so far the corals appear fine. Actually, more PE during full day. My LPS are not as full, so I can tell for them, they are not getting what they were used to.

Okay Marko...errrr I mean Brad, you're being very stubborn, you have had two very experienced and knowledgeable SPS/LED reefers advising to pull back on intensity. My question and I don't have the answer is " is the damage to your SPS easier to reverse after they have been bleached as compared to when you notice a lack of color and can increase light?" It seems alot to risk, to come home from work one day and be says OOOOO SHI.....
Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Brad, I think the best thing to do is try different settings on the two opposite ends of your tank, see what the difference is.

Here is a picture of one of your frags that I got from you that is situated on both side of your tank. I had them on the frag rack for 24 hours then straight on to this spot which is directly under 2 sols side by side.

Here is a picture where my lights in relation to the coral.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 06-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Okay Marko..
That just hurts I could be wrong (again), and I'm sure it's great advice for a full compliment of lights (If I had 6, then for sure I'd dial back to 50% or less), but looking at the tank, I cannot believe that there is enough light to adequately grow a mushroom.

But yes, it's easier to bring color back than to repair bleaching
Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

There was a group buy on a par meter a few years back here on the mainland. I wasn't involved but I remember the thread. If it can be located and you paid for shipping the owners might be persuaded to loan it.

Last edited by Snaz; 06-04-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post

Here is a picture of one of your frags that I got from you that is situated on both side of your tank. I had them on the frag rack for 24 hours then straight on to this spot which is directly under 2 sols side by side.

Here is a picture where my lights in relation to the coral.
So as a comparison to your tank, the piece in question is slightly higher, but under one Sol only, and a little off center (4"?)
My thoughts are if my coral can move directly under your 2 Sols at 100%, then the same coral will not burn when placed under half that lighting..

Or am I missing something? I trust your judgement, you've seen my tank with MH, taken coral and added it under your LED at 100%, and you know what not enough Sols looks like.
If you think I should back off, I'd strongly consider it
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 AM

oops, missing the circle.

Here, that's better.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
oops, missing the circle.

Here, that's better.
It's ok, I found it -lol
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 AM

I would honestly tell most to dial back a bit but your tank was under 400W halide so most of your sps will be able to handle it and plus your tank is very health and happy so even if they get more par I know that they will be able to accommodate for it. It is different if ones tank is switching over from 250 halide and corals are not in the best of shape. The only thing I would watch out for are monties and charlices, I have bleached a few pieces but they have all came back now.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013