Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-27-2004, 01:59 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default why is it that....

everyone assumes you are doing SPS if you are looking for a Ca reactor.

I think if you look at it you will find a softies/LPS tank that has VHO or PC lighting will consume just as much Ca as a SPS tank with very intense lighting.

Ca reactors can be used on any tank to maintain a balance of minerals, Ca, and Alk in a efficient manner.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:03 AM

Pro Fish Keeper is on a distinguished road
Default Calcium

Well said, and I belive thats true. I've seen softies use tons of calcium dosages.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

It is because the vast majority of people buying/using/stealing Ca reactors keep SPS. It's generally accepted that they're the only ones nuts enough to spend that kind of money on coral growing toys.
Also, I don't believe that a tank of leathers consumes calcium nearly as fast as a SPS tank does, therefore presenting more cost effective measures of Ca supplementation. I could be wrong, but I'll need to see a bleached leather skeleton and compare it to a bleached acro skeleton. I think the latter contains more Ca.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:38 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

If this is directed at me, it was because I know Pocillipora use to keep SPS. So i was essentially asking him if he is getting back into it.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:07 AM

Jack is on a distinguished road

Steve you're crazy if you think softies consume as much as SPS when growing.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:40 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I'd be inclined to agree with Brad and Jack. I don't see where softies would be putting all that calcium.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-27-2004, 04:22 AM

ok now let me explain a couple things.. yes softies consume Ca, but not as much as SPS, BUT in the lower light tank coralin algae grows way faster than in brightly lit tanks. (on average) also just think if you have halmidia (*sp) in the tank with the softies.

so now if you have a softie/LPS tank with halmidia and lots of coraline do you not think it would consume a lot of Ca?

SamW, it wasn't directed at you but your coment did remind me about making this post. I see it all the time where people have nice tanks that have what I would concider a hugeCa load, and people teling them to keep on spending big bucks on 2 part additives instead of getting a reactor.

also just wanted to start a discussion and maybe get people thinking about what all concumes Ca besides SPS.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 03-27-2004, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Steve you're crazy if you think softies consume as much as SPS when growing.
on that post Jack... lets assume SPS uses say 20X more Ca per mass than softies. so concidering how fast softies can grow compared to SPS would it not be a little closer in demand?

Also I got to add something to my original post I forgot.. LPS also.

Steve

Old 03-27-2004, 05:43 AM

Jack is on a distinguished road

When softies die they seem to melt and turn to mush. If an acro colony dies you can be left with a couple pound calcium structure. In my mind the logic points to the SPS consuming more Ca and Alk.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:17 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

While "softies" do in fact use calcium, they in no way compete with an average SPS colony for Ca consumption. LPS may be real competition, as they do deposit a lot of Ca, it's just hard to tell because of the massive growth instead of branching.
On the coralline issue, again, no way.
None of this means a reactor isn't useful on a "mixed" tank, just that a reactor is often considered "required equipment" for larger SPS systems, hence the assumption that reactor purchasers keep SPS.