Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Im not interested in them for the schooling aspect at all which is why I was also inquiring about a few different types of chromis (like say blue/green, bicolour, orange line, etc) but just 1 of each. Part of what I'm looking at is the cost of the fish too (as bad as that sounds) I have ideas for this tank as well as the future hopefully larger one, and I want to keep the small one more for my coral, but I want to toss in a few inexpensive fish that will add some life to the tank which is why I initally though of 3-4 yellowtail damsels or 3-4 different chromis... Added at the same time. But not if their just going to up and kill each other. Theres so much conflicting information on them out there.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
Im not interested in them for the schooling aspect at all which is why I was also inquiring about a few different types of chromis (like say blue/green, bicolour, orange line, etc) but just 1 of each. Part of what I'm looking at is the cost of the fish too (as bad as that sounds) I have ideas for this tank as well as the future hopefully larger one, and I want to keep the small one more for my coral, but I want to toss in a few inexpensive fish that will add some life to the tank which is why I initally though of 3-4 yellowtail damsels or 3-4 different chromis... Added at the same time. But not if their just going to up and kill each other. Theres so much conflicting information on them out there.
You can pretty much count on the difference between species being a non-factor when it comes to aggression. A damsel is very often a damsel towards other damsels, haha.

When you're looking at information, especially in this hobby, look for trends. Don't accept the exception just because you WANT it to be true. Might as well set up a personal charity for donations to your favorite LFS at that point :P
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt101 View Post
i would not have the heart to flush them lol......if i never got my mandarin yesterday i would have made this a damsel tank.....i doubt he would do well with them and i love him so i am not risking it
Actually a mandarin is generally fine with damsels. The danger with mandarins is mostly competition for their food source of pods, unless they've been trained to eat prepared food, which few will survive on long term. Mandarins do their thing & are left alone by most fish, even aggressive ones due to a distasteful coating they have. I've seen my damsel try to nudge my mandarin away from it's perceived territory, but that's about it. My Maroon clownfish has also only ever nudged the mandarin when he lingers a little too close to a clutch of eggs. Never any harm done. BTW, just in case you're not aware, clownfish are included in the damsel species.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 AM
Follows the rules!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
You can pretty much count on the difference between species being a non-factor when it comes to aggression. A damsel is very often a damsel towards other damsels, haha.

When you're looking at information, especially in this hobby, look for trends. Don't accept the exception just because you WANT it to be true. Might as well set up a personal charity for donations to your favorite LFS at that point :P
Sure a damsel is a damsel towards other species of damsel, and chromis are related to damsel but that doesnt say what will happen with 4 species of chromis in 1 tank, kept as singles. Since their not the same species they shouldnt school so they shouldnt pick off the weak fish in the school right?

As with the damsels from what youre saying it seems better to stick with the Pomacentrus, and from what I'm reading to avoid the Dascyllus at all costs.
What about the other Genus of damsels? like Paraglyphidodon, or how you said some in the same genus as the yellowtails was good

I would rather a few $4 fish not get along vs a few $20 fish
Which is why Im trying to figure out what I can do with these fish we can get for under 5 bucks... But at the same time I dont want to see anyone die lol
Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 AM

beefORchicken is on a distinguished road

domino damsel = spawn of satan
will be aggressive to all other fish
save your money & frustration and get hardy less aggresive fish, like chromis or dwarf angels
Old 05-01-2012, 04:49 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Sure a damsel is a damsel towards other species of damsel, and chromis are related to damsel but that doesnt say what will happen with 4 species of chromis in 1 tank, kept as singles. Since their not the same species they shouldnt school so they shouldnt pick off the weak fish in the school right?
They'll do the same thing; pick each other off given inadequate confines. Again, Chromis are just damsels with notably reduced aggression. If you have something a little meaner that keeps them on their toes, they'll be less inclined to take each other out. But the point is moot since we're talking about a 10 gallon tank.

Quote:
As with the damsels from what youre saying it seems better to stick with the Pomacentrus, and from what I'm reading to avoid the Dascyllus at all costs.
What about the other Genus of damsels? like Paraglyphidodon, or how you said some in the same genus as the yellowtails was good
If I didn't list it, it is or will become a monster. No exceptions except perhaps for Fusilier Damsels, genus Lepidozygus, but they are hard to find and require far more space than most people have available.

Quote:
I would rather a few $4 fish not get along vs a few $20 fish
Which is why Im trying to figure out what I can do with these fish we can get for under 5 bucks... But at the same time I dont want to see anyone die lol
Stick with a Chrysiptera species and maybe a Chromis. At the end of the day, a 10 gallon is probably going to leave you with one or the other.

Edit: The other thing to keep in mind is variable personality...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 AM

Smittyburger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
Get an Azure Damsel. They are colorful, but don't share the aggressive traits of their other Damsel cousins. I have one, and he is always been a model citizen with his tank mates.
I agree with Reef Pilot on the Azure Damsels. No over the top aggression as most report on Damsels in general.

I have had 3 of them for a year now. They have each staked out their own territory and give chase to each other the odd time when their territory is breached.

I have them in with Tangs, Firefish, a mandarin and a 6 Line Wrasse with no real issues other than the odd hit and run.

75 Gallon Reef (My Abyssal Zone)
Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Yup, girl at J&L told me the Azures are different, and she was right. Had him for over a year now. Beautiful fish, and totally peaceful.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Follows the rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
They'll do the same thing; pick each other off given inadequate confines. Again, Chromis are just damsels with notably reduced aggression. If you have something a little meaner that keeps them on their toes, they'll be less inclined to take each other out. But the point is moot since we're talking about a 10 gallon tank.

If I didn't list it, it is or will become a monster. No exceptions except perhaps for Fusilier Damsels, genus Lepidozygus, but they are hard to find and require far more space than most people have available.

Stick with a Chrysiptera species and maybe a Chromis. At the end of the day, a 10 gallon is probably going to leave you with one or the other.

Edit: The other thing to keep in mind is variable personality...
Its a 30-40 gallon tank, not a 10, which is why I had 3-4 fish in mind. Mind you because of its odd dimensions its 24" wide so I dont have as much room for territorys. Might try a chromis school in the larger tank when it comes but for now i want to figure out what I can do with the smaller one.

I would like to be able to have 3-4 yellowtails or something similar (azures?) and bright, but thought of the idea of having different species of chromis. Would much rather do the damsels just for colour, but I dont want to be scooping dead fish all the time.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Starry is on a distinguished road

I you can find these, I think they are the prettiest chromises.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...21&pcatid=1721