Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-25-2012, 03:06 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

But should my air conitioning unit fan come on as well. I am okay with the furnace fan being on. Would that mean I cannot run my air exchanger in winter as my air conditioning unit would be covered and I am assuming you shouldn't have the fan running under the cover.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

I don't think the fan on the outdoor A/C condensing unit should be running...

If it's running, it probably means the compressor is running as well, which means your A/C is effectively ON.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatkins View Post
I don't think the fan on the outdoor A/C condensing unit should be running...

If it's running, it probably means the compressor is running as well, which means your A/C is effectively ON.
That is what I thought, but when I went to the registers it was blowing warm air not cold air and the thermostat was set to off. As soon as I turned off the air exchanger the fan stopped turning on the a/c unit. Since then I have had the a/c on and it blows cold air just fine. I am at a loss. Maybe I will go turn the thermostat to heat and see if the air exchanger still turns on the a/c unit.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:30 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That seems really weird to me - can you call the place that did the installation?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
That seems really weird to me - can you call the place that did the installation?
Unfortunately, they were not that great to deal with in the first place and it was so many years ago they wouldn't do it for free now. I just talked to an electrician friend and he suggested that if everything else works fine, he would just turn off the breaker for the air conditioner in the winter and not worry about it although it did sound to him as if they wired something wrong.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

I had something like this in my last house. When we turned on the circulating fan the AC compressor would start. I was told it had to do with the relays for the fans and they would need to be changed. I never did, I just tuned the breaker of for the AC off.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

The fan on the ac unit is turning. But is it turning because the motor is on, or is the fan turning because the air is being pulled through the duct to replace the air that the air exchanger is pushing to outside?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:27 AM

ILIKECOUGARS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
I just talked to an electrician friend and he suggested that if everything else works fine, he would just turn off the breaker for the air conditioner in the winter and not worry about it although it did sound to him as if they wired something wrong.

Why don't you ask your electrican friend to install a relay for you?

I alway turn off the breaker to the ac in the winter.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 AM

weyburnt is on a distinguished road

Yes this would make sence except he said this still happens when the t stat is switched off. Also I don't think most t stats jumper the y and g when in auto. I'm pretty sure the furnace board takes care of this. Or else when the fan switch was in off, and the t stat was in cool, the fan would not run. Sometimes on older furnaces without a y point people will jumper these points but op said thier was no jumper. The r and the rh need to be jumpered out unless you have a system with separate heating and cooling transformers. Which you don't. If the unit does not do this with the t stat wire disconnected at the bored then double check the t stat wiring and replace the t stat. I do not believe a relay is the way to go. I Hooked 2 of these up last week alone. The only way you should need a relay is if it is an older furnace with no y point.