Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-18-2004, 05:12 AM

ree-fready is on a distinguished road

It`s too bad but I think they`ll have a hard time selling their bulbs and not sure about the ballasts. Are they even available yet? Not that I`d even think about it.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:36 AM
UnderWorldAquatics

Ok, I hope I can address some of your concerns... I wasnt representing SunAquatics products since they entered the market, I have only recently been distributing their products, I have no controll over previous dealings.

To answer some questions and concerns, I never said the bulbs were from Europe, I said they were European "Style" bulbs, as opposed to Americian style bulbs, and yes they are manufactured overseas. My understanding of the operation of the bulbs is as follows...
The SunAquatics bulbs are best run on an electronic pulse start ballast the same as other bulbs in this industry, quality non-electronic pulse start ballasts also seem to fire the bulbs well. They will run on many other types of ballast, but I can not say that they will for sure as they are not the reccomended style of ballast for said bulbs. To give an example, you could have 10 non-electronic, non-pulse start ballasts of the same brand lined up, and upon trying to fire a SunAquatics bulb on said ballasts, you could have mixed results. 4 of the said ballasts may fire the bulb great, and 6 might not fire the bulb so great, there seems to be variance among ballasts of the same type... You can take a SunAquatics bulb that fired up yellow on a regular ballasts, and when you fire that same bulb on an electronic pulse start, or other quality pulse start ballast, the bulb fires perfectly fine. It is my recomendation to only use a SunAquatics bulb on a minimum of a pulse start ballast, or an electronic pulse start ballast, this is the same recomendation I give to all the stores and wholesalers that we distribute the SunAquatics products to. Im sorry if you have had a bad experience with a compatibility problem in the past.
Regards: Kyle
Old 03-18-2004, 04:02 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

I don't know if anyone noticed, but when the bulbs were first distributed by Venki they were $42.00. He announced they would soon be distributed by J&L, and there would probably be a modest increase in price of around 10 or 15 percent. I notice now on J&L's website that the bulbs now sell for $74.95. That is closer to a 75% increase. At that price it is hardly worth trying. When I need a new bulb I will get one of known quality.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 03-18-2004, 04:09 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Kyle, if I buy an SA bulb now and find it doesn't work on a Hamilton ballast, will I be able to get my money back?

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-18-2004, 06:46 PM

venkiw is on a distinguished road

The problems associated with the 175 watts 10k is as follows:

The 175 watts 10K bulb did not produce satisfactory results on some TAR ballast, while they worked fine on any good brand name TAR ballast. The only ballast we are aware of that that is may not work on is the britepro ballast, which I beleive is an odd ball ballast. As far as other reports we have not found what ballast (could be no name ballasts), in majority of the cases the the returned 175 watts 10k was sold to other users with TAR ballast and was conformed to be working fine.

Steve,

You don't have to "wish" we always have a satisfaction gaurantee. If you are not happy please return the bulbs for a refund.

Ree-fready,

Please do not give up on us, please return the bulb for a refund. Can you please tell us what ballast you were running it on. As the 250 watts 10k is still a remote issue. With over 4000 bulbs sold in the last 6 months, the satisfaction has been well over 99%, with the sheer volume there is always someone who might have had a problem.

Any bulb in the market today, there is always mixed responses to a product especially MH bulbs. While some swear by thier performance others are less impressed. This is the case with existing or new prodcuts in the market.

For anyone that had issues with the product (purchased directly from me) please get in touch with me, I stand behind my products.

As for my pricing earlier I did make it clear that they were distributor price, I didn't find any other way of marketing a new product with my limited marketing network.

For anyone using a 10K or lower bulb, a switch to 20K is quiet a surprise. It takes time to get accustomed to such a drastic change in color.

Yours Truly,

Venki Worathur
Old 03-18-2004, 06:51 PM

Teevee,

I can send you a bulb for you to try. If you are happy you can pay me, else just return the bulb.

Venki
Old 03-18-2004, 10:56 PM

LostMind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LostMind

Wow! VenkiW, I like the new attitude. Keep it up!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:36 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

venkiw, thanks for posting to clear this up and making your stance knowen, I am going to try taking PAR readings this weekend on all 3 flavors of the bulbs

Visual appeal is a big part of the lighting business and it is hard to please everyone. as for returning the bulbs I don't thik I could return any in good concence at this point as I have about 300 hours on the 10K and the 20K and about 600 on the 14K.

I did have a question sence you are here and maybe you can clear up.. why are the 14K bulbs so blue? I was understanding youi were trying to get the AB look out of the 14K.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:08 AM

Steve,

The 14k rating needs clarification, I agree. The 13K we manufactured would have been close to the AB, but the CRI came in at 75%, which appeared to be off scale and hence we decided to go with the 14K (actual 16400K), which would explain the bluer look.

I have now realised that the CRI may not be a proper index to judge a bulb by. Now it may not be possible for us to have a 13K and 14K bulb, so the 13k was canned. May be ressurrected in the future.

As for the comparison to AB 10K DE. Joseph Venuti who is the president of MACNA, tried our bulb 10K DE side by side an AB and was so impressed with the performance called me persoanlly and had a long converstation. He also made special offers for us to have a stall at MACNA (but I couldn't make it), and has refered us to his contacts in the Industry.

You have hit the nail on the head, color has become such a personal preference that it is difficult to judge who will ike what.

The 14K was actually launched to mimic a PFO 13K bulb in appearance, which I personally liked.

As for returning the bulb, you are welcome to. But if you are concerned about the usage, it will be sold soon if you just posted here on this forum. JUst a thought.

Cheers and happy reefing.

Venki

PS:- I use my 20K on my tank and absolutely love it. The coralline growth in a new tank under 2 months is quiet amazing.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:48 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkiw
Steve,

PS:- I use my 20K on my tank and absolutely love it. The coralline growth in a new tank under 2 months is quiet amazing.
I do like the look of the 20K but I find it very dim.. this is why I want to get these PAR tests out of the way so I can better make up my mind.

the 14K is nice but side by side with a radium it is hard to tell them apart.

as to the ratings, if it tested out at 16400k, why didn't you label it as a 16K instead of 14?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.