Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM

subman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
If you have any controllers or other networked devices on your reef then you could monitor that IP instead of the router ip.

GREAT IDEA! Ill monitor my profilux when I set it back up.

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 PM

vrgomes is on a distinguished road

Hi there =)

So regarding the first question about Iphone app I have a lot of request for that platform but I don't have resources to invest on Iphone platform right now. I will try in the future to also port this and other applications to there.
You can also move to the dark side of the force, Android

Regarding the IP adress, this application can monitor any IP, URL or DNS (for example www.MyHome.com), it don't have to be the Router IP. Just give the widget the input and it try to reach it through Ping or port-scann. You just have to make sure that the IP is exposed to the internet.

If you have any sugestions or malfunctions just say it.
Hope the application helps you as it helps me =)

Greetings.

My ReefCentral
Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 PM

reefme is on a distinguished road

I had a samsung but the battery only last me half day.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

It works as advertised usually but a few comments.

- The IP that it pulls using the automatic "Find my IP" is your public IP on the WAN device before your router, like an ADSL modem(PPPoE) or cable modem and so the IP it discovers is not necessarily the router IP unless the two devices are in fact one. Like Telus@Home router/modem combo. If your power goes down then it will alert so not a big deal but to be clear it is not the router that it monitors but the modem.

- The alerts were not reliable. I would set for a one minute update and sometimes the widget would change to a random setting: off, on, half/half.

- Only once did I get a taskbar notification that my power was down. Without this function working 100% it is not recommended to use this product until fixed.

- I mentioned in an above post that you could probably monitor any connected device on your local network but I have not tested this and I do not know if it is yet possible with this application. To do this to work you would need to configure a port on your router to forward the ping request to the selected device and this is not a procedure for novices.

Summary: The inconsistent notifications to me mean this application is not ready for production use just yet. Good start developer but more work is needed.

My device: Galaxy Nexus 4.04
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
It works as advertised usually but a few comments.

- The IP that it pulls using the automatic "Find my IP" is your public IP on the WAN device before your router, like an ADSL modem(PPPoE) or cable modem and so the IP it discovers is not necessarily the router IP unless the two devices are in fact one. Like Telus@Home router/modem combo. If your power goes down then it will alert so not a big deal but to be clear it is not the router that it monitors but the modem.
Hi thanks for the reply =)

When you click on get my Ip it will get your external IP of the network your are connected. That is the IP visible to outside. If you disconnect from that network and kick you 3G connection this will be the visible IP adress.
If you want to test another IP you can type it on the textbox, you can put there any IP adress, URL or DNS (www.myhome.com for example)

Quote:
- The alerts were not reliable. I would set for a one minute update and sometimes the widget would change to a random setting: off, on, half/half.
- Only once did I get a taskbar notification that my power was down. Without this function working 100% it is not recommended to use this product until fixed.
The alert is only fired once and only once, otherwise it will be going to beep and vibrate over and over until the connection is reestablished. So to reset the alert you have to open the widget and click save. When you do this the alert is going to Beep and vibrate again once again.
If you open the widget and click back nothing will be done. Back = cancel
And you always have the bulb light on and off, so looking to it (it's a widget so it's present on your home screen) and you know it's state. That's the another motive to send the alert only once.

As far for the 1 minute update the widget have a 60.000 miliseconds protection (1 minute) because that's a very small amount of time and Google doesn't recomend so much frequent updates. For google a regular widget update is 15 minutes. So that's why it looks like random, because if you try to make an update every minute it will be blocked. I can remove that restriction but I would like to keep it that way to prevent battery drains.
Use larger update times (2 minutes ).

I dind't write this on google play. I will type it there. Thanks =)

Quote:
- I mentioned in an above post that you could probably monitor any connected device on your local network but I have not tested this and I do not know if it is yet possible with this application. To do this to work you would need to configure a port on your router to forward the ping request to the selected device and this is not a procedure for novices.
Yes, that would be needed. It's impossible for the widget to do that. It just monitor throught ping and port-scan any Ip adress or DNS.

Quote:
Summary: The inconsistent notifications to me mean this application is not ready for production use just yet. Good start developer but more work is needed.
Hi hope, to have explained the motives to that =)

Greetings.

My ReefCentral

Last edited by vrgomes; 04-19-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Thank you your reply vrgomes.
I was getting frequent crashes whenever the application tried to or successfully created a notification in the taskbar. I was prompted to send a report but did not do so yet. Would that help you? Will you get the report or does it go to Google?

I think if the application is doing a port scan then some more sophisticated router could see that as an attack, I will check my router logs. I would think ICMP ping is enough and is an acceptable network test.

Is two minutes the minimum to set the notification successfully?

Thank you.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you your reply vrgomes.
I was getting frequent crashes whenever the application tried to or successfully created a notification in the taskbar. I was prompted to send a report but did not do so yet. Would that help you? Will you get the report or does it go to Google?

I think if the application is doing a port scan then some more sophisticated router could see that as an attack, I will check my router logs. I would think ICMP ping is enough and is an acceptable network test.

Is two minutes the minimum to set the notification successfully?

Thank you.
Hi, I'm aware of that bug. And yes when you see it you should send the error because the developer will get it and fix-it.
That error is more google fault. It's a permission to vibrate that on some phones is needed and on other it isn't.
For example on my phone is not needed. Anyway tomorrow I will send a new update v1.1.0 that add that permission and should fix that bug =D
Here is the v1.1.0 that I should launch tomorrow, you can download it and test this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjnnkzretd...BoltWidget.apk

Yes set to 2 minutes for testing.

Greetings.

My ReefCentral
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM

Hi everyone e have just release this weakend the version 1.1.0:
- Fix de vibration issue on some phones when notification alert is received.
- Improved stability and connectivity when using some 3G networks;

Plese let me know if something is not working. Soon I will also update the Angry Bolt with new and improved widgets with futher functionality

Greetings;

My ReefCentral

Tags
android, angry bolt, electricity, widget