Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo
Default Before and after biopellet photos. How do I bring my montipora back to life?

How do these look for some before and after pictures? I tried experimenting with biopellets on and off a little bit about a year ago. At first I used the minimum recommended amount which I ceased after a month. The second time I used 1/3 of the recommended minimum amount which I also removed soon after. In each case almost immediately my soft coral bleached and some of my LPS faded in colour. These montipora faded a little bit as well but while the other species slowly recovered once I ceased using the pellets these montipora have not. They're both sort of in stasis, they aren't recovering and they haven't yet died completely.

My system is 5 years old, 240gal, lit ~8hrs daily with 250w 14K Phoenix bulbs on HQI ballasts, I do 10% weekly water changes with IO, Seachem and some Mg salts. 1 cup of carbon changed monthly and 1 cup of GFO changed every two months. Supplementing is done by Kalk and Ca Reactors. Aside from a variety of fish food no additional products are used. Nuisance algae and slime consists of valonia and a little cyano in the sand. Water chemistry is this today and only fluctuates a little bit from month to month (I keep records):
Ca 430 ppm
KH 10 dkh
Mg 1300 ppm
Nitrate and Phosphate undetectable for years with hobby grade kits
Salinity 1.025
Temperature 78 F

I'm thinking there are three things that I can do. I could retrieve some frags of these from some friends tanks and try to start over with them. I could continue the waiting game to see if what I have left will eventually recover. Or I could try some kind of bottled miracle product if someone could recommend one to me.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Why would you use bio pellets if your nitrates and phosphates are undetectable?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM

I was following the hype about them on this site and on RC which is still going on today. I thought that by using them I would no longer need to use GFO. I thought that some of my acro frags which have never done much growing would suddenly take off like the others. It now seems common sense to me too that I never should have bothered with them. If its not broke don't fix it... well I tried to fix it and I broke it.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Well, they worked for me, but in my case I had nitrates as high at 100 ppm. Down to less than 20 now. Really cleaned up my tank, too. No algae or cyano. I just have LPS and softies, and they all seemed to like it.

I have heard of corals getting bleached after bio pellets. Perhaps they need a trace amount of nitrates/phosphates, and the bio pellets depleted them too much.

Also, more recently, some people have reported coral bleaching and dying after use of Kent carbon.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 PM

My carbon and GFO come from BRS. Both were purchases a year ago, the GFO is the regular granular and the carbon is fine lignite.

I believe that over depletion of nitrate and phosphate was the case too. However I do feed my tank heavily. 1/6 nori sheet daily, Formula one pellets 3 times a day (amounting to 1/2 tsp I think), a cube of PE Mysis 3 times a day and a 1"x2" slab of silversides or krill every second day.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

My guess is they are too far gone.

Your system is clearly doing very well, time for some new frags . I had the exact same problem when my ALK was raised too much while running the pellets, lost that exact same green cap and burned the crap out of all my tips.

Biopellets went in the garbage alllonngggggg time ago.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Wow, and I thought I was a heavy feeder. Surprised you can keep your nitrates down with that.

I have seen pics of your tank,... very nice.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 PM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
My carbon and GFO come from BRS. Both were purchases a year ago, the GFO is the regular granular and the carbon is fine lignite.

I believe that over depletion of nitrate and phosphate was the case too. However I do feed my tank heavily. 1/6 nori sheet daily, Formula one pellets 3 times a day (amounting to 1/2 tsp I think), a cube of PE Mysis 3 times a day and a 1"x2" slab of silversides or krill every second day.

whatcaneyedo, you are my friend I don't think you are overfeeding them. They are just like humans. If you feed me once or twice a week, I still survive but am I happy ? I don't think so ! Maybe I can maintain my weight without needing to hit the gym everyday
Anyway, I used to run bio pellets for about 6 months and the last couple months I had used, it almost killed/bleached all my sps corals. Since I switched to Vodka dosing, I can say I am happier than ever before. No algae, phosphate or nitrate. I don't even need to clean my front glass everyday like I used to. My cheoto cannot even grow an inch bigger in a month.

Last edited by Casey8; 03-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

Have you tried dosing Potassium?

My Monti Caps were getting bleached and weren't growing and I read on the ZEO forum to try K-Balance.

I was on the full ZEO, but have switched to the Vertex Bio Pellets about 2 months ago.

Since then they have coloured up and are growing new ridges.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/zv...m+-+250ml.html

I only dose half the amount because I dose some other ZEO stuff.

It might not hurt to give it a try?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 PM

raceit is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys, so you I read on the forums where some guys are talking about the water being stripped from bio pellets. How do they determine this, what numbers are they looking at?