Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I keep a canister filter with a sponge running all the time in my QT tank, so it is always ready when I need it. I have done the hypo treatment twice now, and never had any ammonia problems. I tried some of the other "cures" in the past, and they definitely did not work.

I am amazed when I read these threads how some people still strongly advocate some of the myths about ich treatment. Using cleaner fish or shrimp is just one example.

What fools a lot of people is that the ich seems to subside after a few days, and they think that whatever magic reef safe remedy they are trying is working. But that is just the natural cycle of the parasite, and subsequent iterations are usually worse when they return in a few days. And long term healthy residents often survive, but again, not because they were "cured".

The other mistake people make is not QTing long enough. Remember, to be safe, you need at least 6 weeks from the last sign of the parasite on the fish. My hypo process took a full 3 months in each case, and was 100% successful. The other benefit with the hypo treatment, is that you can get your fish eating well and they will be strong and healthy before being added to your display tank. And the fish seem to like the lower salinity, and easier to get finicky fish to start eating.