Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Do you mean 70 times turnover? Or 70% of the volume turnover? I have 60x turnover in my tank, and I would have a lot more if it wasn't for the LPS that don't like it. Meh, Vortech Shmortech...I like my Tunzes, and I actually don't mind the new Koralias either...they are tiny.

Just creep your dose down a bit lower. You should be able to find a balance between maintaining 0 nitrate and having no fuzz. Essentially, you should be able to quit dosing vodka at some point, but if you overfeed or have poor maintenance habits then you will will have to continue dosing to keep nitrate at 0. Imo any type of carbon dosing should not need to be maintained forever. I see it more as a fix than a maintenance.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road

Its actually 79.2% LOL... 4 1400gph koralias, 2 425 koralias, 330gph HOB filter and 350gph from return.... Which I think is more then enough flow

If I have time before we leave for mexico tomorrow ill stop at bayside and see if they have MB7 then when I get back im gonna try VSV mix and see if that helps then if it does nothing reduces to 4ml
Old 02-16-2012, 12:53 AM

Bayside has MB7.

The return flow is not considered in flow, and the HOB filter wouldn't really do much for flow. I have one of those 425 gph Koralias in my 10 gallon nano and it is barely good enough for that size tank. The flow doesn't go very far. I think you'd be best off considering just the 4x1400 gph powerheads as contributing to overall flow which is 5600 gph and your tank is what...100 gallons or something? That is 56 times turnover which should be ok if you have them pointed well. Try moving their direction a bit so there is more flow reaching the rocks. Turnover is not expressed in percent.

What skimmer you got on there?

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 AM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road

Its a 90g. Ive found if I point my powerheads at the rocks something will start to lose tissue from getting a direct blast. The 425s are back in behind the rocks to stop things from settling where I cant get to it. Im running a reef ocopus XP2000 Cone skimmer
Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 AM

Yeah, it's a fine balance between blasting the rocks and not blasting the tissue off.

SPS fanatic.