Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-30-2012, 03:31 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I think those tubewormy things must like the dark (or less light anyways), I have quite a good population living in my overflow box which is shaded. They haven't migrated into my sump as I use a filter sock (yay another thing my filter sock is good for). Your shiny new sump and all its goodies make me want to clean my sump, but then my sump wasn't even that pretty to start with, I think it must be the sexy red skimmer. Gotta get me one of those

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
I think those tubewormy things must like the dark (or less light anyways), I have quite a good population living in my overflow box which is shaded. They haven't migrated into my sump as I use a filter sock (yay another thing my filter sock is good for). Your shiny new sump and all its goodies make me want to clean my sump, but then my sump wasn't even that pretty to start with, I think it must be the sexy red skimmer. Gotta get me one of those
I think it may be more about flow........I know the big feather dusters dont do well in a lot of flow......I cant keep any feather dusters in the big tank cuz the flow blows their feathers off(not literally)f.....the small tank has significantly less flow and plenty of light and my dusters do well in there.....my sump too has a tonne of the wee ones.and is lit for the fuge all night ...leads me to assume that if the large dusters do fine in the light the small ones would too but,

and there aint nuthin sexier than the red, white and goo
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

With the removal of the tube worms I am at least expecting a slight drop in Alk and Calc uptake :-) Those buggers must have consumed a lot of alk and calc. Damn freeloaders!

So after i cleaned out the sump I finished off my chores with a display tank scrub down. I actually liked scrubbing down the tank because afterwards everything appears as if it is in HD

Full Tank Shots

The South Face

The North Face

The West Face

Not that anyone will notice but I changed up my aquascape a bit. I'm in the middle of battling these brown polyps that are infesting my live rock and are quickly reaching plague proportions. Luckly my rock structures are separated into three distinct structures so I didn't have to destroy my rock work too much. The most affected rock was my terraced zone (for those who have seen my tank in person). I dismounted the corals from those rocks and simply lifted the structure out of the tank and set them outside for a couple of days. After a couple of nights of freezing temperatures I thoroughly rinsed and scrubbed off all the debris that I could off of the rocks and rebuilt the structure in the tank. This area used to have two levels of terraces but after I placed the first level in I really liked the open swimming space above that used to be occupied by another piece of shelf rock with corals on it. My rock work was already pretty open but this openned it up even more and I liked it so I left it.

Last edited by kien; 01-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
I know in my old tank I would sort of do the sump clean thing every year or two and things would look better for a while afterwards. But it was always a nasty ordeal too that would last all day. No wonder it gets procrastinated on!
This is the first time I've done such a herculean cleaning job on my sump and man.. I don't ever want to do that again! I'm hoping that this experience will scare me into keeping a closer eye on the state of the sump and perform smaller cleanings. "Oh look I see a tube worm, MUST DESTORY NOW!!!"
Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
With the removal of the tube worms I am at least expecting a slight drop in Alk and Calc uptake :-) Those buggers must have consumed a lot of alk and calc. Damn freeloaders!

So after the cleaned out the sump I finished off my chores with a display tank scrub down. I actually liked scrubbing down the tank because afterwards everything appears as if it is in HD

Full Tank Shots

The South Face

The North Face

The West Face

Not that anyone will notice but I changed up my aquascape a bit. I'm in the middle of battling these brown polyps that are infesting my live rock and are quickly reaching plague proportions. Luckly my rock structures are separated into three distinct structures so I didn't have to destroy my rock work too much. The most affected rock was my terraced zone (for those who have seen my tank in person). I dismounted the corals from those rocks and simply lifted the structure out of the tank and set them outside for a couple of days. After a couple of nights of freezing temperatures I thoroughly rinsed and scrubbed off all the debris that I could off of the rocks and rebuilt the structure in the tank. This area used to have two levels of terraces but after I placed the first level in I really liked the open swimming space above that used to be occupied by another piece of shelf rock with corals on it. My rock work was already pretty open but this openned it up even more and I liked it so I left it.
opened up the very west end?....isnt that where your sunset monti was?.....whatcha do with the displaced corals?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
opened up the very west end?....isnt that where your sunset monti was?.....whatcha do with the displaced corals?
Yes, I removed the upper terrace in the far west end. No, the sunset wasn't there, the sunset lives on top of the middle bonsai structure. It is rappidly out competing every coral on that structure actually.. I really should frag it, LOL. *waits for vultures*

I just rearranges the colonies and frags that were on that shelf onto the new lower shelf and the slab of tavertine that the lower shelf is pegged into. I moved some to other rocks as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
sunset monti was?
Actually if you look at the South Face you can see the sunset smack dab in the middle of the picture on that upper shelf. It wants to own that shelf.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Actually if you look at the South Face you can see the sunset smack dab in the middle of the picture on that upper shelf. It wants to own that shelf.
holy crap brochacho......that thing went and got massive!!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Wow that's one shiny sump how's your back treating you!?

Tank looks great and I like the open end too.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
holy crap brochacho......that thing went and got massive!!
Ya it is in the process of trying to devour a rainbow monti, strawberry fields monti, a purple pocci and a birds nest that lives near it.

Ah, from humble beginnings..

How's your sunset doing?